Automatic Repair Bad Boot Sequence

Reaction score
Yesterday my computer started up the automatic repair service when i turned it on. It attempts to diagnose the problem and fails. I've run chkdsk on both the boot and regular partitions of my install drive. I tried to repair using an install disk but it says it cant because my install drive is locked. I also tried resetting from within the recovery environment. When I did it got to 8% and then said it couldn't reset the os as it encounter a problem during the reset. I'm running Windows 10 off an SSD. Can anyone help me with this?

Reaction score
I was similarly stuck in an Automatic Repair loop several weeks after installing Windows 10, and tried many of the suggested fix options, including System Reset and System Restore, none of which worked. Finally, I went into the System Startup Settings tab and selected "disable early launch malware protection" (or something like that, I can't remember the exact title) and it worked. The computer started up fine after that, and none if my data was lost.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello JoeT.
I've noticed that you've posted this solution that apparently worked for you in multiple threads and hopefully it will prove useful to others, so thank your for that.
When you say that
I went into the System Startup Settings tab and selected "disable early launch malware protection"
Can you be a bit more specific.
Are you talking about the Startup tab located in Task Manager? Is that where you found the reference to "early launch malware protection"?
Can you maybe advise as to which product you are using? The software that created this particular Start up item?
Or
Was this actually inside the System Setup Utility (BIOS) and perhaps a component in there?

Reaction score
As described in the initial post of the thread, when I tried to boot the computer, an Automatic Repair screen runs, then a Diagnosing PC screen. The Repair/Diagnosis fails and I end up on a blue screen that says the problem couldn't be diagnosed and provides options to "Restart Computer" (which just leads into the same loop) or "Advanced Options." I hit "Advanced Options", then "Troubleshoot", then another "Advanced Options", then "Startup Settings" (on this screen there are also options for "Reset System", "Restore Previous Build" and others, all of which failed), then "Restart", then (finally) "Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware Protection". Once I hit this, the computer started fine, and I was able to view all my files and apps and use the computer. However, when I shut down, the problem occurred again, so I had to run through all the same selections again. After that, I uninstalled my virus/security software (Norton 360) and the computer came on without issue, so it seems like the virus/security software may be the issue for me. I have not yet tried to reinstall the virus/security software.

I have an HP Touchsmart with an Intel Core i7. 64-bit Windows 10 Home (free upgrade from Windows 7). As mentioned above, I was running Norton 360. I have another desktop and a laptop, both of which got the free upgrade to Windows 10, and have not yet had problems with them, and they are both running the Norton 360 as well.

I hope this helps.

Ask a Question