SOLVED Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC

Reaction score
When I start my computer, it crashes and restarts with a blue screen that says "automatic repair couldnt repair your pc"

I've tried startup repair and I get the same screen saying that startup repair cant repair my pc either

I've tried resetting without losing my files but it simply says it does not work

I have no system restore points

The log file is D:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail. Txt

Any help would be appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

Can you clarify whether you are booting directly from a hard drive, or are you currently attempting to boot from a DVD or pendrive.

I note you posted a D path for the log file. Are you multi-booting different OS's, e.g. Linux on one partition / drive, and Windows on another partition / drive?

Is this a Desktop, Laptop, Notebook?

Are you able to force Windows into the Recovery console, by starting your computer, then as soon as it begins to start, holding your power button down until the computer shuts down, then repeating this 2 to 3 more times in a row before allowing it to boot normally.

If you can get to the Recovery screen, then:
  • Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command prompt
  • When computer has booted to command prompt, enter the following commands, pressing Enter key after each command to execute:
    • Code:
      bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • Code:
      bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • Code:
      bootrec.exe /fixboot
  • Now try restarting computer

At that point is issue persists, repeating the Start computer & shutdown as soon as it starts process to return to the Recovery screen, then do the following:
  • Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup settings and click the Restart button
  • When you reach a list of choices, select Enable Safe Mode with Networking
  • When you are booted to the Safe Mode Desktop, press windows key once to give focus to the Cortana search field
  • In the Cortana search field type cmd then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • A UAC prompt will appear. Click yes to allow an Elevated Command Prompt to run
  • At the Elevated Command Prompt, type the following command:

Code:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Press Enter key to execute

• When this is completed, type exit then press Enter key to close the elevated command prompt.
  • Now press windows key once then type msconfig and press Enter key
  • In the System Configuration dialog now opened, select the Boot tab
  • Remove the check next to Safe boot, then click Apply and OK
  • Restart computer

If the problem still persists, then other things to consider are:
  • A corrupted or faulty driver for hardware attached to computer, e.g. mouse, keyboard, external drives, etcetera.
  • A disconnected cable inside the computer, e.g. cable from hard / ssd drive may be loose or completely disconnected — this could be a power cable, or the cable that carries data.

Any information you can provide regarding my initial questions, and also how you go attempting the above possible solutions to your issue, will be helpful to the Forum.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thankyou very much for your reply

To answer your questions
  1. I'm just booting from hard drive normally, I have no DVD or pendrive in my computer at the moment
  2. I'm honestly not sure why Windows is in my d: drive but as far as Im aware, I'm only booting windows.
  3. This is a desktop
I tried all of your suggestions there but unfortunately no luck. I was able to get onto the recovery console and access the advanced options. I put those commands into the command window but when I typed the third one in, I was told access was denied. The first command also told me that no windows installation could be find which might be of note.

Unfortunately I cannot enter safe mode to try the other method. Whenever I select 'safe mode with networking' I just get blue screened and told my pc needs to restart. Stop code: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

I opened up my PC and made sure all cables were properly plugged in. I also restarted the computer with no peripherals apart from the monitor and neither options worked

Reaction score
I just looked at the log of the startup repair and I found out I have a corrupted bootres.dll file. Is there any way to fix this with the state my computer is in currently? I tried to verify files by using sfc \scannow but was told that the action could not be carried out.

Regedit32

Reaction score
It's looking a lot like your Windows System is corrupted pretty badly.

If Windows is on D, and there are not other drives attached internally or externally, then there must be at least two partitions on the hard drive you are attempting to boot from.

When you choose to run a command prompt from the Recovery screen, are you able to view the contents of D partition, by typing dir and hitting Enter key?

Also can you change directory to C drive by typing cd c:\ and hitting enter key. If you can what is on that partition when you type dir and hit enter key to list the directory contents?

I'm wondering whether or not you can use the xcopy command to copy important files you do not want to lose to a USB pen drive:
  • For example, assuming D drive is where your Windows OS is, and your Username for signing into Windows is Saul, and when you plug in a USB pen drive and its assigned Letter E, then to copy the contents of your Documents folder, the command would be like so:

xcopy D:\Users\Saul\Documents\*.* E: /s /e /f

That command would copy all files in Documents and any sub folders whether or not they are empty or not to your E drive (the usb pendrive). The /f flag displays the Source path and file name of file being copied, then the final path ( in this case E:\ )

You could attempt to create a bootable USB pendrive, with Windows 10, to perform a install over the top of your current install ( choosing to save files and documents), but its difficult to tell whether that will succeed given the errors you are already getting.

I'm thinking a clean install, i.e. formatting the hard drive and installing a clean Windows 10 onto it would more likely result in a happy ending — assuming the hard drive itself does not have corrupted sectors, or is failing.

To that end, from a command prompt you might want to spend some time running a checkdisk over it:
  • chkdsk d: /f /r
You could also attempt to salvage that bootres.dll file by executing a System File Check in an offline mode from the command prompt:
  • sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

Note:
    The above command assumes your Windows OS is trully installed on D partition. If its actually C partition, then adjust the command appropriately.

Reaction score
Oh I might not have explained properly that I have an HDD and an SSD installed internally in my computer

Yeah, Im able to view the contents of the D: partition when I type in that command.

When I try switch to the C: drive, how do I know if i was successful? Is the path at the start of the command prompt supposed to start with an x: rather than the partition windows is installed on? It reads x:\windows\system32>

TThankyou for the advice on installing winfoed 10 again, I might just have to make use of that

Regedit32

Reaction score
ahh

Well if you have to drives installed, then it'd appear Letter D was assigned to your hard drive with the Windows OS on it.

If that is the case you don't need to navigate to C partition.

You mentioned you were able to see the contents when executing the dir command at the command prompt.
  • I'm assuming you are seeing the Recovery Environment files on X:\
While in the Recovery Environment your hard drive will be reassigned the next available Letter, which assuming you have no other drives attached internally, or externally, ought to be Drive Letter E. Thus at X:\Windows\System32> type E: then press enter key
  • You should now see E:\> and typing dir here and hitting Enter ought to displau your the usualy list of directories you'd see if you were using File Explorer on your D partition.
  • If that is the case, then you'll need to adjust the command I gave previously for copying documents to a pen drive

That command would be something like xcopy e:\users\saul\documents\*.* f: /s /e /f (assuming drive f is your pendrive)

The other command to run System File Checker in offline mode remains the same though, given your Windows OS is on D drive.
  • sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

If running the above command does not resolve your bootres.dll issue, then I'll feel you really only have the option of a clean install left to sort out this issue.

Reaction score
Yeah I might just do a clean install then. Whenever I enter that sfc command, it just says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". The fixes for this i found online seem to require me to actually be able to access windows normally

Ask a Question