SOLVED Automatic Repair PC did not start correctly

Reaction score
When I came home there was the message that my computer did not start correctly. I didn't turn it off not ask it to restart.
It said "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We will restart for you.
It must have done it on it's own while I was out. Anyway it keeps going through the same cycle. I finally asked it to restore from an automatic restore point. It appeared to be restoring from July 5th and then it gave me the following notice: System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer system files and settings were not changed.
Detail: System restore failed to extract the file. The restore point was damaged or deleted during the restore.
You can try System Restore again of if you continue to see this error try an advanced recovery method.
I don't know what to do now.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Proftax,

I have not had the exact error message you received re Your PC ran into a problem, however, I have had the Restore Point failure issue, and that was when I was using Advanced Recovery - which is when you boot from a Windows 10 DVD or Thumb drive, and select Repair.

In the end, the solution that worked for me, was to use my bootable DVD to install Windows 10 over the top of itself [ i.e. an In-place upgrade. During this process I had the choice to keep my files and settings, and all went well. Some third party apps I had that would not be migrated were safely stored in a Windows.old folder located at C:\Windows.old, which after signing in I was able to check, then re-install those apps, and copy the files from Windows.old back to the Windows directory.

Our Forum Administrator posted an Article on how to download a Windows image to use for creating such a DVD or USB drive, which you can read here:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-download-windows-10-iso.35/

If you do not want to use a DVD or usb thumb drive as a bootable disk, you could also choose to download the Windows.iso then copy it over to the affected computer, then right-click on Windows.iso and select Mount and when the folder opens click the Setup.exe file inside to do the in-place upgrade from your hard drive.

This website shows you screen by screen how to do a repair [in-place upgrade install] by mounting the image:

Reaction score
Thank you. I can't get my computer to go anywhere. I can't get into safe mode either. It just goes back to can't start checking for errors. It never finds and the hard drive is fine. I downloaded the windows boot on to a thumb drive. I can get my computer to a prompt through the advanced recovery. But then I don't know what to do. I put the thumb drive in and typed setup. It then said this version of setup is not compatible with the version you are running. My computer has either the blue screen or I can get the prompt on the black screen. However I'm obviously not understanding what to do with the Windows boot thumb drive.

Ask a Question