Automatic starting up

Reaction score
In Win 8.1 I had two programs that started automatically when starting my computer. After installing Win 10 only one does and I can't find how to make Windows starting the second
I searched in Settings, I searched for the name of the working program to find out in which file it is hidden to joint the second there but I don't find anything.
Please help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It might be helpful if we had some details as to which application(s) / program(s) you're having problems with.
Perhaps someone will have some specifics for you if you can provide more information.

Reaction score
You can change startup programs in Task Manager. click on the tab along the top that is marked Startup. Simply right click on the relevant app, then select the Disable option from the pop up menu.

Reaction score
There is more than just a single way to start a program when Windows starts up. There's scripts (gpedit.msc), the registry, and even the shell:startup explorer location. The easiest way is through the shell:startup folder. Any other method involves malicious code typically involving loading DLL's among other things, but it is not convenient as a method for an end-user, and is only interesting if you care about developer security or preventing such things from happening on your system, or cleaning up your PC from any viruses.

Open explorer, in the address bar where you'd typically see things like C:\Folder\Folder\... Type
Code:
shell:startup

And hit enter.

This will take you to the startup folder. Now create a shortcut to the program you want to start when you logon to Windows in this location and you're done.

My full path that shell:startup takes me to is:
Code:
C:\Users\Troy\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

And I have shortcuts to Outlook 2016 and Dropbox in there currently.

Ask a Question