Automatic Turn On

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to put my Windows 10 laptop on some sort of a automatic timer to turn on. Currently, I am leaving the laptop on all night which I hate to do. Is there a way for me to set some sort of timer that the laptop will turn on everyday at a set time?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You've got a few options here - you may find that if you go to your laptop bios, you have an entry to enable scheduled boot. Not all systems have this, but that would be the easiest way.

The second way would be to put your laptop in to "sleep", rather than shut it down. You could then use "Task Scheduler" to create a blank task (perhaps run an empty batch file), then choose to run it at the time you want and make sure that the "Wake the computer to run this task" option is selected. This will wake the laptop up from sleep mode.

The third way would be to use Wake On LAN software (some routers and many phones can send WOL packets), however this would only work if you've got a wired connection to your laptop via an Ethernet cable.

If you'd like any more detail on the steps, please let me know and I'll do what I can to help :).

Reaction score
Can you go more into detail for Scheduled Boot. As in the process I should follow?

I have a Dell Inspiron 13 with windows 10. I do not care about scheduling it to turn off, I only want it to turn on at the same time everyday.

Ask a Question