Tower PC turns off automatically Windows 10

Reaction score
My tower PC was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and seemed to function perfectly correctly for months.
All of a sudden the PC would appear to go into a sort of sleep mode the monitor goes blank, an pressing any keys on the keyboard does nothing.
The keyboard lights and the power lights on the front of the tower are on, and pressing caps lock etc. does not change the status of the lights on the keyboard.

Turning the PC on it will function correctly for about 3 hours 45 - 50 minutes the turn off irrespective of what I am doing (not away from the PC) , pressing and holding the power button turns it off fully and you can then use it OK for a good few hours.
I performed the Anniversary update yesterday and at approximately 2 hours it turned off.
Just under 4 hours I could live with and gets me off the PC, however 2 hours is a bit low.

The power settings for sleep is set to never.
It will happen with multiple programs open or with nothing more than what you start with, and is the same way I used it before the problem started.
Using SpeedFan 4.49 it states the temperatures are generally cool or lower trend, the GPU does say it is a bit hot at 55C but you can increase the fan speed. OK for it is set at 49C.
I have used compressed air to blow the insides out, but I have not removed and re-instated any leads or boards.
It seems software based as the time has changed with the upgrade.

Please help.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem some time ago, and it turned out to be the video card. The fan and ducting on the card got clogged with dust and when the card overheated, the screen went black, but everything else kept humming along. After I replaced the card (couldn't get all the dust cleared out) the problem went away. Hope that helps.

Ask a Question