New Dell XPS 8910 desktop tower won't exit sleep mode

Reaction score
I have a new Dell XPS 8910 tower. It goes to sleep mode, but won't exit with the click of a mouse, keyboard, or sleep button. Only options has been a full shutdown and reboot - has to be a better way. Ideas?

Reaction score
You could do two things.
a) Go to settings and just turn off the sleep stuff altogether. That is what I do. Electricity is not THAT expensive.
b) go into the Bios. Somewhere ( I am not familiar with Dell bios) set to allow the machine to be woken by mouse or keyboard. But that may apply only to wake from powered down.

Reaction score
Thanks - I tried those fixes to no avail. In my case, it turned out the Hard Disk setting in Power & Sleep, Additional Power settings, Change Plan Settings, Change advanced power settings,Hard Disk...needed to be set to 0 minutes. That fixed the problem.

Reaction score
Dell seems to do this on most of their older systems. Do you know what type of Hard Drive you have, SSD or HDD and how large?

Since Sleep options are tied to the Video Drivers are you using the latest for the Intel Graphics?

Supported Operating Systems
Your XPS 8910 supports these operating systems:

• Windows 8.1, 64-bit
Note regarding operating systems not listed above:
Dell may not support an operating system for various reasons, including discontinued support from the software vendor or lack of availability with certain products.

Reaction score
Thanks - I tried those fixes to no avail. In my case, it turned out the Hard Disk setting in Power & Sleep, Additional Power settings, Change Plan Settings, Change advanced power settings,Hard Disk...needed to be set to 0 minutes. That fixed the problem.
You-da-man!!! I searched for hours trying to resolve this. Fixed in 15 seconds w your instructions. I might add to the instruction that "0 minutes" is not an option on the dropdown, you have to physically type in the "0". Unsure if the "Never" option in the dropdown is the same as "0".

Thanks Ted!

Ask a Question