SOLVED Dell XPS 15

Reaction score
My laptop does not retain the brightness level to which it is set. I have to rest the brightness level every time I sign on. Could someone please help. Thanks. M

Reaction score
My XPS 2720 does not seem to have any software brightness controls. It is done using the buttons on the monitor.

So what are you using to set the brightness?

Reaction score
After startup, I use the F12 Key to get the correct brightness, which I must say is a bit
of a nuisance. The brightness appears perfect as it boots up but soon it
dims down quickly. It is as if the brightness setting in Windows 10 is subsequently
overridden by Nvidia graphics software. Could this be the case?

Reaction score
According to the XPS 15 manual, the F11 and F12 keys are supposed to set the brightness. Those settings should hold but power settings may override the setting to do something like dim if not plugged in.

Setting something during boot will probably not effect the Desktop settings. Does that system run on just an Nvidia GPU or does it have the Intel GPU also.

Is your version the one with the 4K display?

Reaction score
Have you tried right click blank desktop/display settings? Brightness level should be 100%.

Reaction score
According to the XPS 15 manual, the F11 and F12 keys are supposed to set the brightness. Those settings should hold but power settings may override the setting to do something like dim if not plugged in.

Setting something during boot will probably not effect the Desktop settings. Does that system run on just an Nvidia GPU or does it have the Intel GPU also.

Is your version the one with the 4K display?

It does have two graphics cards; Intel HD Graphics 530 and Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 and yes, I have 4K display. I also have my laptop plugged in virtually all the time and I have set the display using Power options to High.

Reaction score
Have you tried right click blank desktop/display settings? Brightness level should be 100%.[/QUOTE

Interesting observations!

Case 1) Went to the Power Options, selected High Performance and set brightness to 100. Now, I right click/Display setting and the slider is at maximum ( 100%). On restart, the screen brightness still dims after about 13 seconds and no more brightness is possible using the PF12 key since it displays the slider at maximum (100%)! Also the setting remain at 100% on right click/Display setting;

Case 2) If the power option is set to 50% and if I right click/Display setting, it is also shows that brightness is set to 50%. On restart, the screen brightness dims as before. Now if I right click/Display setting it shows that brightness is now at 30%!! I can increase the brightness to what I like using the PF12 key.

Michael

Reaction score
Learn by doing. I have a whole bunch about how to clear a clipboard in the support forum but I finally figured it out myself by trial and error.

This forum is a great place to learn. This is where I learned to dual boot and bricked a laptop by deleting Boot Configuration Data. Sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous

Ask a Question