Samsung Galaxy S8+ fails to connect to PV Tower with Windows 10

Reaction score
It connected perfectly to a Lenovo Laptop with Windows 10 which I no longer have. It connects to my new Lenovo Laptop with Windows 10, but will not connect to my Dell OptiPlex Tower. The USB permission screen is non-existant to allow it. I will upload the screen shots from my Galaxy and the tower. Hopefully you can offer a solution. Please, thankyou.

Attachments

• USB 1.jpg
    USB 1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 398
  • USB 2.jpg
    USB 2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 413
  • USB 3.jpg
    USB 3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 335
  • USB 4.jpg
    USB 4.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 369
  • USB 5.jpg
    USB 5.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 398
  • USB 6.jpg
    USB 6.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 426
  • USB 7.jpg
    USB 7.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 443

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :). It looks like the problem may be with the MTP USB device that you can see with the exclamation mark in device manager.

If you view properties on that item, what does it say as the error?

If you are running Windows 10 N, you may need to install this if the driver is missing.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Sorry for the long delay but no email notification came through. However, the problem still exists and I have added three more screenshots for you to peruse and see if you can offer a solution, pleas.

Cheers
Galaxy Problem 1.png
Galaxy Problem 2.png
Galaxy Problem 3.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info :).

Can you please try right clicking the "MTP USB Device" entry in device manager, then going to "Update Driver Software". Then select "Browse my computer for driver software", followed by "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

Browse the list of compatible drivers and manually select "MTP USB Device" and see if it'll install it.

If that fails, you could try uninstalling the MTP USB Device and then install Smart Switch from Samsung (https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/kies/) and see if that bundles their own driver (it's useful software for backing up your phone).

Ask a Question