SOLVED Samsung phone blocks USB port

Reaction score
When I connect my Samsung Galaxy J7 via my usb port to recharge or download data it is not disconnected by the application that carries out that function even though it works on other USB devices. This effectively blocks the port for future use unless I reboot. I am not using Samsung SmartSwitch- any ideas?

Reaction score
Have you tried to put a USB Hub in between the two devices?? I cannot recreate your issue as I do not have any of that Samsung crap anymore (sorry).

BTW: what kind of computer are you connecting it to?? just out of curiosity...

Reaction score
I haven't tried that - but it will be worth a try if I cannot fix it easily; otherwise I will just have to recharge my phone just before I turn off my Pc - it's an HP All-in-One and I'm running Windows 10. This problem has only recently emerged as it was fine before

Reaction score
Have you had by chance a firmware update on your phone?? Since it has worked before, it might be the reason.
on a second thought: driver update for your phone eventually??

trying to think of other options......

Reaction score
I think I might have resolved it. I rebooted and then connected through the notifications window on my phone which offers options for charging and media transfer. Both appear to be working and the phone is not shown as a connected device and the USB port is accepting a flash drive. One thing I did do was to delete a folder I found that contained a back up to Smart Switch that I installed and then uninstalled as it did not suit what I wanted to do. Things seem to be working without it - so far. Than you for your interest

Ask a Question