Automatically Save Screenshots (Print Screen) as JPEG

Reaction score
Hi,

Do we know of a way to Automatically Save Screenshots (Print Screen) as JPEG?
Don't need PNG, filesize is excessive.

Any tips gratefully recieved.

Cheers,

Reaction score
What is Greenshot?
Can Screen Snip be triggered from a key command, and saved into Dropbox folder in one?

Reaction score
I believe screen snip is the original name of the old snipping tool.
Greensnip is a third party tool.
I use the new snip and sketch. I have Paint ready and waiting in my taskbar and paste into that, where I can eit it and save it in a chosen format.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Don't need PNG, filesize is excessive.
I'd appreciate some clarification on your premise.
I just took two identical screenshots....
One using the Windows Logo key + Print Screen key producing a png file
One using the snipping tool manually saving as a jpg file.

Examining the properties of each, I did not find any remarkable differences between the actual "filesize".

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
What is Greenshot?
Can Screen Snip be triggered from a key command, and saved into Dropbox folder in one?
Snip and sketch has an option to use the prntscn key only. The subsequent snip is automaticaly saved and ready to be pasted.
I would say Trouble’s post is a pretty conclusive answer to the op’s complaint

Reaction score
Thanks, I just need a method for saving screenshots in JPG format, from a single key command. In other words, the ability to change the settings for the Windows "print screen" key.

Reaction score
I am not at a computer right now, but, if you first look at Bighorn ‘s post, possibly in the settings, defaults, you can make the default for snip and sketch jpg?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First....
I do not believe there is anyway to do what you want to do natively. When you use the printscreen key the results default to .png and I cannot find anyway to change that to .jpg. There probably is a third party screen capture software product that might facilitate what you are trying to do.
Second....
Apologies, as we seem to have misunderstood and went off into discussions of the old Snipping Tool and the new Snip and Sketch products (which by the way both remember the last saved file format and default to that in subsequent uses until you change it again, so I learned something at least).
The WinKey + PrntScr auto saves into the screenshot folder and the product is by default a .png image.

The current trend seems to be toward .png and away from .jpg, the "why" of which is discussed at length and in detail across the web if you're interested, so....
As I mentioned above, you might look into a third party solution
OR
Maybe a bulk converter type software, so when your Screenshot folder fills up with .png files you can convert them to .jpg files with relative ease.

Reaction score
"When you use the printscreen key the results default to .png and I cannot find anyway to change that to .jpg."

You can, Trouble. as in Bighorn's post. But you need to start it from the menu, not the shortcut key.
May be not for this forum, but snip and sketch, and the original snipping tool, have been combined in Windows 11. Now called the "snipping Tool again. The same option is available

Reaction score
First....
I do not believe there is anyway to do what you want to do natively. When you use the printscreen key the results default to .png and I cannot find anyway to change that to .jpg. There probably is a third party screen capture software product that might facilitate what you are trying to do.
Second....
Apologies, as we seem to have misunderstood and went off into discussions of the old Snipping Tool and the new Snip and Sketch products (which by the way both remember the last saved file format and default to that in subsequent uses until you change it again, so I learned something at least).
The WinKey + PrntScr auto saves into the screenshot folder and the product is by default a .png image.

The current trend seems to be toward .png and away from .jpg, the "why" of which is discussed at length and in detail across the web if you're interested, so....
As I mentioned above, you might look into a third party solution
OR
Maybe a bulk converter type software, so when your Screenshot folder fills up with .png files you can convert them to .jpg files with relative ease.
Thanks. I have a bulk convert tool.
With the 32" screen, filesize can be way too big for emailing etc. So JPEG is the format of choice.
I am looking at Greenshot. Can you let me know how to free the hotkeys that are grabbed by Dropbox and Windows? Not essential, but good to know how to.

Cheers,

Reaction score
Greenshot works. However, nice hotkeys are hogged by other apps and windows, it seems

Ask a Question