How to make Windows allocate a drive letter automatically ?

Reaction score
I alter the contents of a HDD daily in one PC and then copy that new version to another HDD in a second PC. That second PC always requires me to add a drive letter to the target HDD. It a bit tiresome and I'd like to rectify that, so that a drive letter gets allocated automatically. What are my options - OTHER than leaving the target drive connected ?

Ad

Advertisements

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Not quite sure what you mean.....but I think I get the gist of it. Is the drive in question on PC 1 a storage drive? If so I think you just need a HDD docking station. I use this one.......

That should solve your problem all the way around.

Reaction score
A docking station would connect by USB, and MY EXPERIENCE tells me that (in my system), that would slow up the copying process considerably - that is a price NOT worth paying to get a drive letter allocated automatically.

Reaction score
If you assign a drive letter manually. As long as that drive letter remains available, Windows will reconnect the drive to the same letter. Skipping a few letters will generally assure that letter will always be available.

Reaction score
I'm sorry to have to say that my experience contradicts your claim. In my case the (two) letters remain available, but are NOT allocated until I do it 'manually' in Disk Management.

Reaction score
I misunderstood the question. Sorry about that. I was thinking you were trying to maintain a specific drive letter upon reconnect. I didn't notice that you were not being connected to a letter automatically.

My only question at this point. Is your ports set to removable devices in the system bios? I may be getting confused with USB but Ithink there is also a "removable device" setting in Windows somewhere. If I could remember those details, I would share them.

I have a dock on my machine and Windows will only reconnect to the drive, if the ports are set to removable devices. Otherwise a system reboot is required to reconnect.

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I have taken a different tack - but used the suggested method - and SO FAR it is successful. In Disk Management, I simply allocated late-in-the-alphabet letters to the drives concerned, and those letters are being remembered (auto-allocated).

Now, where to mark this thread as solved ?

Ask a Question