SOLVED AutoPlay non-functional in Win 10

Reaction score
Windows 10 PRO.

AutoPlay isn't working in Windows 10.
The SETTINGS|DEVICES menu has it turned ON.
In Control Panel, it's turned on and configured to PLAY a CD.
It's not disabled in the Group Policy editor.
Neither of the two optical drives (a CD and DVD) will auto play either file type in Windows Media Player or MPC.

An MS level I tech made this statement:

"For this issue you can download Windows DVD Player available in the Store. Since WMP and MPC can no longer support CD / DVD autoplay."

While I understand that there's no native DVD player in Win 10, it strikes me that auto play should function nonetheless - using the default CD or DVD app. In fact, I believe it did just that, earlier.

Can someone confirm this, and suggest what other measures might enable AP, please. All forum suggestions to this date have been tried.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
I use a third Party Cyberlink Power DVD 15 it is not free but I can burn, watch movies, play any CD/DVD and Blue Ray I want.
I can also run photos in it and make my own music if I want to.
Also my Toshiba has its own Player built in which I don't use much.

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. It's not an issue of playing a CD or DVD. Both WMP and MPC do that just fine - if manually started. It's AUTOplay that isn't working with optical drives. Here's a bit more info...

RESTORE DEFAULTS has been tested. This resets all to "choose a default."

"Ask me every time" (for a CD, in this test) does nothing. No Prompt.

"Shellhwdetection" responds "the requested service has already been started."

SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION is set to "automatic" and is running.

AutoPlay works fine for memory card insertion, but not for optical drives.

Could the statement that the MS Level I tech made be true: "For this issue you can download Windows DVD Player available in the Store. Since WMP and MPC can no longer support CD / DVD autoplay."

Does optical drive AP work for anyone?

Ask a Question