Batteries not charging to full design capacity

Reaction score
Got this T530 recently. Seems fine. Battery appears legit.
Ran batteryinfoview on it and it indicated that it had never been cycled. so I disconnected power and ran it until it auto shutdown'ed - about 5%. Charged it back up and got the same report.

Ran into some reports on forums over the past week indicating many batteries were doing the same thing and wondering if they were counterfeit. I'm not about to spend $45 for a replacement battery as I suspect it would do the same thing. Running this one for maybe 4 hours and setting display brightness to full and stressing cpu to try to kill it I am guessing this would run for 8 hours doing normal stuffs. what do you want from a battery?

Thoughts?

How do I post a link to a local html file?

Attachments

• battery report.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_20180627_0001.jpg
    IMG_20180627_0001.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
Reaction score
Ran batteryinfoview on it and it indicated that it had never been cycled. so I disconnected power and ran it until it auto shutdown'ed - about 5%. Charged it back up and got the same report.

Ran into some reports on forums over the past week indicating many batteries were doing the same thing and wondering if they were counterfeit. I'm not about to spend $45 for a replacement battery as I suspect it would do the same thing. Running this one for maybe 4 hours and setting display brightness to full and stressing cpu to try to kill it I am guessing this would run for 8 hours doing normal stuffs. what do you want from a battery?

Thoughts?

"Ran into some reports on forums over the past week indicating many batteries were doing the same thing" Save yourself $45, batteryinfoview appears to be the common denominator.

Reaction score
Code:
powercfg /batteryreport
indicates the same thing as batteryinfoview but with a lot more detail.

Reaction score
Well, an interesting thing happened on the way to trying to fix the battery firmware update failure:
Remember, I was still running basically on what I had for the V570 - just moved the SSD over and added things like chipset, usb3, etc.

So I imaged (Macrium) my system and installed Lenovo "system update".
Running that I installed 3 (I think) things and some Intel firmware for something.(computer still works so I don't care!!!)
Looked for Lenovo settings (cortina) but that was in Store so I got that.
After a bit of that install it told me it was superseded by Lenovo Vantage, in Store, so installed that.
Somewhere in there I installed "system interface foundation". and maybe some other stuffs.

Anyway, in Lenovo Vantage/hardwaresettings/power, there is some battery info. - it said 62.57wh like the others, but did not recognize the 93.24wh cap of the battery. There was also a thing called Battery Gauge Reset which supposedly takes a couple hours. So it being around midnight, I clicked on it and went to bed. It didn't finish until around 8:30 this morning, but LO, the battery info now says 74.94 wh. Something changed!!! I will probably run that again tonight to see if I get any more. I also noted that when I first started Lenovo Vantage, it said 360 cycles. it now says 392. This laptop was apparently bought in 2014 and that shows a normal battery use for a few years or so.

(the battery firmware update still fails in the same way)
(the serial number etc matches the info on the label so quite sure this is genuine OEM Lenovo.)

Attachments

• vantage1.JPG
    vantage1.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 757
  • vantage2.JPG
    vantage2.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 548
Reaction score
62.57 to 74.94 to 78.27 - out of - 93.24 after 2nd try with Battery gauge reset. contrary to what I said in last post it does recognize max capacity (93.24).

Reaction score

Thoughts?
You can thank Microsoft for this. My HP Touchsmart did the same right after the Windows 2018 big update. I checked several forums and found others had the same problem.

Reaction score

Thoughts?

Lenovo batteries will charge to 100%, but if you aren't looking it will discharge to as low as 95% and say not charging. You said you ran on battery for 4 on full bright so you have a perfectly fine battery and need to just accept that your business class T530 has a special feature designed to prolong the life of the battery and that the software you are testing it with doesn't work on high end laptops. I wondered about the same thing in the beginning, but after a year of selling the T and W series lenovos, they all do this. Now if it says 90% and not charging, then you may have a battery that is failing and the only place I get these 9 cell replacement batteries (AKA after market) is from Rakuten or Tmart if they have them. Make sure if ordering one that you open the details and make sure it is in fact the right one. They will return ads for other batteries that look like it and they will take it back, but then you have to deal with that and wait another week for the one you need.

Reaction score
This puzzled me when I got my new HP Probook last year
Not charging the battery to 100% seems to be a feature, not a problem

Battery Report.jpg

Reaction score
Yes, that's a feature. There is a way to shut if off but that is not present, or in use, in mine.

Reaction score
It might be to prevent heat fires. On another matter about batteries few years back I read that AA and aaa batteries shouldn't run flat because they will forget their size and I went through a lot of batteries before I read this since then I am still running the same batteries in my camera etc.

Ask a Question