SOLVED Big Mistake

Reaction score
Wolfie That's terrible news. Did you not scan your download with Malwarebytes before executing. Microscrap is the last organization that you would expect to download Malware from. After my last update problem, I wonder if MS is using other infected PCs to deliver updates (its all about cost savings $$$) and the updates are not being delivered through the MS servers.
BTW I have the placebo switch (download from other PCs) turned off. I expect you have the same set up. BTW did Defender or Malwarebytes alert you to the Trojans? I ask because currently I'm having doubts about the effectiveness of Defender.

Reaction score
I also see now that MS endorse Avast and it's available for download. Why would they compete with their own AV software. I know many members will disagree and yes maybe I'm paranoid.
But, I made the personal choice and turned OFF Defender in favor of my old AV software "Avira" that also runs well with Mambam.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Wolfie That's terrible news
Not that bad Norton, I ran Aviria Live CD and it found the 11 bugs and told me it had renamed them which normally disables a virus, that didn't work and neither did the restore points, I just did a fresh install without formatting C:/ and just need to copy my files from windows.old and then delete that file!. I didn't use MB or MRT as the PC was running sluggish and virtually unresponsive. I am up and running again now and just need to install a few apps from "https://ninite.com/". I have since installed Avast and will use that in the future!. :)

Reaction score
Good to hear that you are up and running. A fresh install is the best route, it alleviates any worries about the bugs.

T_J

Reaction score
Currently I use McAfee LiveSafe (Amazon $18.95, key code, free ship, bought 11-2016, installed 11-2017) and 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' for disk images.

I'd like to do a clean install someday but I'd guess it would be near impossible (?) to get MS Office Starter 2010 (Word & Excel) and Photoshop Elements 9 reinstalled, which Dell installed for free in 2012.

Using Word, Excel, and Photoshop from 2012 to 2025(?) for free would be nice. MS Office SBE 2000 & PowerPoint 2000 weren't free for my 2000 Dell. Had 2000 p3 Dell desktop (98se, 2k, & XP) running last week (KVM). In 2014 had to replace fan on a 2001 GeForce 3 ti500 (eBay).

Last edited:
Reaction score

T_J

Reaction score
MS Office Starter 2010 has no license key & only installed by Dell, etc.
W7 recovery partition may restore Office Starter but that might not be much help for W10 (?).

While Office Starter still functions on my W10 Dell, one choice is to install MS Office Starter on a USB flash drive (requires 398 MB) to use if Dell ever has W10 or Office Starter problems >> "Take Office Starter with you"

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...with-you-C03FCCD8-BF18-44EC-BE66-D3284903DD8D
I've never had any problems with 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' for image restores.

I did try my first Norton Ghost 15 image restore in Windows 10 on Dec 15 with a boot CD. After finishing image restore (C partition only, OS), Ghost software said restore FAILED and Dell rebooted. After reboot, W10 was still there and working great, so I don't know. Afterwards I did a 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' image restore just to be safe. Ghost 15 has no support for W10.
T J

Last edited:
Reaction score
Avast used to be a good program but it became bloatware a few years ago. Plus it uses Google analytics and phones home all the time with info about where you have been on the internet. I use Malwarebytes Free and Eset Antivirus. Bought a 3 PC license at my local Fry's for $19.95. I have an external HDD and use Aomei Backupper. I have it set to do a full back up of Win 10 once per month. I do differential backups every night. Might be overkill but it works for me. I don't trust MS restore at all.

Reaction score
I used Avira for a long time myself, since I tried using the Live CD recently (it failed badly after finding 11 Trojans!). I installed Avast and I didn't know it phones home, that said, I would think they all do?, both the paid and free versions, I am using the free version so I suppose that I must accept that they want to make something out of it?.

Windows restore failed also so as @ram1220 said, I don't trust it either now!. :(

T_J

Reaction score
I did try my first Norton Ghost 15 image restore in Windows 10 on Dec 15 with a boot CD. After finishing image restore (C partition only, OS), Ghost software said restore FAILED and Dell rebooted. After reboot, W10 was still there and working great, so I don't know.

This is a 2012 Dell W7 desktop upgraded to W10 in 2016 (free); has 3 OEM partitions (Dell Utility, Recovery, & (C) OS). Ghost was installed in W7, but W10 upgrade corrupted Ghost program. So run Ghost 15 off the boot CD. A boot CD can be made from installed program or can use the CD in the box. With the boot CD running, Ghost instructions are found in HELP section. Ghost 15 program - XP, Vista, W7. NO W10 support.

I checked 'verify recovery point' when making the 12/15 Ghost image. I saved 3 WORD files and 3 EXCEL files today (12/19) to use for testing Ghost 15 (12/15) Image Restore.

Today I only restored image for 913GB OS partition (W10). I did not check 'verify recovery point' (since I did this already), 'check for file system errors after recovery', 'restore original disk signature' (for a new hard drive), and 'reboot when done'. Well after 27:33 minutes, 'recovery complete', then exited Ghost. After restart, W10 is working great and everything works, my 6 Dec 19 Word & Excel files are gone (due to image was made Dec 15), Thunderbird works, Edge works (writing this post), etc.

I think I got the FAIL error on Dec 15, because I checked 'check for file system errors after recovery', and Ghost 15 only knows XP, Vista, & W7; and not W10. Will use Ghost 15 for a backup for 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)'. Ghost 15 probably has more features.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try Aomei Backupper. I have both Aomei and Acronis. Personally I prefer using Aomei over Acronis for imaging, it's easy to use reliable and has lots to offer in its utility tool box. Best of all it's free.

Reaction score
I've got into the habit of creating a system image every Monday, I call it my image Monday.
I seem to have lost day in my head this week (old age) and forgot to create an image on my spare PC before updating. What a mistake, I paid dearly for that. I suspect one of the cumulative updates trashed my user profile. Does anyone else on here have a scheduled "Image Monday" ?
Yes, "image backup Friday", every 2 weeks for 7+1 machines (one is dual boot). I keep the 3 most recent images for each.

I keep personal files & downloads on separate partitions. I don't make images of them, they get backed up directly to NAS drive & flash drives. No schedule.

Ask a Question