SOLVED BIOS entry problem

Reaction score
Just reinstalled win10 home. Computer takes 16 seconds from pushing the on button to opening screen at logon. Problem is I cannot enter BIOS as the screen has no signal until the hello screen. Tried hitting F2 at startup of pc and it just stops windows from booting (LED for hdd stops blinking). Tried at various seconds after start with same result.
How can I slow, yes slow lol, the pc boot time so that I can get the Dell logo before windows? Or is there a workaround to enter BIOS in another way?
Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Hi,

you can try pressing F1 & F2 as well as Del (Delete) all at the same time directly once you have started the PC!. :)

Reaction score
You can always unplug the computer while running, wait 30s plugin, restart while holding down the Delete Key. usually works.
16 sec very nice time, usually indicates also that The computer is Asleep not Turned Off. you can also push and hold the OFF Button for 3 sec, to force Turn off. or you can use Command Prompt (As Admin) type Shutdown -s -t 003 (enter) to Activate Shutdown.
--------------------------
C:\WINDOWS\system32>shutdown /?
Usage: shutdown [/i | /l | /s | /sg | /r | /g | /a | /p | /h | /e | /o] [/hybrid] [/soft] [/fw] [/f]
[/m \\computer][/t xxx][/d [p|u:]xx:yy [/c "comment"]]

No args Display help. This is the same as typing /?.
/? Display help. This is the same as not typing any options.
/i Display the graphical user interface (GUI).
This must be the first option.
/l Log off. This cannot be used with /m or /d options.
/s Shutdown the computer.
/sg Shutdown the computer. On the next boot, if Automatic Restart Sign-On
is enabled, automatically sign in and lock last interactive user.
After sign in, restart any registered applications.
/r Full shutdown and restart the computer.
/g Full shutdown and restart the computer. After the system is rebooted,
if Automatic Restart Sign-On is enabled, automatically sign in and
lock last interactive user.
After sign in, restart any registered applications.
/a Abort a system shutdown.
This can only be used during the time-out period.
Combine with /fw to clear any pending boots to firmware.
/p Turn off the local computer with no time-out or warning.
Can be used with /d and /f options.
/h Hibernate the local computer.
Can be used with the /f option.
/hybrid Performs a shutdown of the computer and prepares it for fast startup.
Must be used with /s option.
/fw Combine with a shutdown option to cause the next boot to go to the
firmware user interface.
/e Document the reason for an unexpected shutdown of a computer.
/o Go to the advanced boot options menu and restart the computer.
Must be used with /r option.
/m \\computer Specify the target computer.
/t xxx Set the time-out period before shutdown to xxx seconds.
The valid range is 0-315360000 (10 years), with a default of 30.
If the timeout period is greater than 0, the /f parameter is
implied.

Reaction score
Well Wolfies suggestion did not work, so I will give Snuffy a try. I was hoping someone could find a registry edit or backdoor to delay the start.
Later.

Reaction score
All I can say is to start tapping the key even before it starts to reboot. You might even try holding the Function key along with F2.

Make sure the system isn't trying to do an upgrade or update install..

Reaction score
Saltgrass: Tried that, but will keep at it. Thx

Snuffy: For any of those commands to work, means you are already IN Windows. Auto logon is enabled now, &
restart just does the same as now. As for "16 sec very nice time, usually indicates also that The computer is Asleep
not Turned Off. you can also push and hold the OFF Button for 3 sec, to force Turn off. or you can use
Command Prompt (As Admin) type Shutdown -s -t 003 (enter) to Activate Shutdown. " PC is not active until I hit the start button
to energize it. Timeout in sys config settings/boot is only for dual boot user to decide which OS to boot into. Again, means
you are already IN Windows to make that choice. I need to get into BIOS before Windows gets started. Tried the del button & alt & ctrl in many different combinations w/o success . Somehow I need to add time to the boot sequence to run slower to activate Windows.
When you see the Dell logo, windows is not yet activated. That 16 seconds needs to be longer, unfortunately.
Keep thinking tho & thx

Reaction score
"He can get into Windows" he wants in BIOS "
Just reinstalled win10 home. Computer takes 16 seconds from pushing the on button to opening screen at logon. Problem is I cannot enter BIOS as the screen has no signal until the hello screen.
and if it fails to SHUTDOWN and stays in SLEEP then FAST it makes it almost impossible to get into BIOS.
the commands does SHUTDOWN. that indicates he should be able to get into BIOs then from a COLDSTART.
There is another method to get into BIOS but - Iprefer for them to use another way. Almost All BIOS do not like unplug while running and many will auto default back. NO ALL.

Reaction score
I had the same problem a few months back, and restored the OS with a saved backup image from Macrium as I was having boot issues. Don't know why, but it worked.

I will give it a shot again.

Reaction score
Restore OS Image has nothing to do with BIOS. unless you remove the HDD/SSD which contains the OS then it will not boot to OS and force a BIOS boot.

Reaction score
That's an idea worth trying, but I think putting a clean image back may have cleared up any crap on the OS that had been causing the problem because after all, it was the same image as previously, less Driver errors :)
Don't think removing the hdd is necessary, just unplug it. Same result.
Thx Snuffy. If I can avoid the coronavirus that's panicking the world, I'll try it.

Reaction score
Yes, unplug is the same as removing. I do hope you ISO is not infected so as to Infect the BIOS. if so then you have to unplug computer, open the case (I also recommend removal of BIOS Battery), short jumpers for at least 10 secs. Many only say 3s to 5s. remove the jumper, then replace the battery, plug in Computer and Start, if No bootable media is located then Bios is activated and you can then set as required.

Reaction score
Not sure what the ISO is you refer to...maybe CMOS? Same procedure, pull the battery etc.
Anyway, shuffled the hdds around as I have one that is only partially set up with windoze that I want to reformat, as they were driving me crazy going in circles to create a MS acct & pw, and asked me to login after I did, only to be told it was that acct was invalid, create a new acct...etc The whole setup was like that . Asked for my gmail password only to be told that wasn't it & I got fed up & pulled the plug . I will use a backup image for that from now on. Sure like to meet the designer of THAT mess.

But the shuffling worked as I now get the Dell logo again, altho windoze keeps telling me not all my drives got connected, but what do they know LOL.

Ask a Question