Drive ports & Bios

Reaction score
I have a Super micro X10DRi motherboard installed in a 6028 chassis. It has 2 drives at disk 0, disk 2 & disk 3 (a CD drive). There is an empty slot between 0 & 1. The chassis has 8 slots for drives, but when I put any other drive in any of the slots they don't appear in disk management.

On another note, the current BIOS ( American Mega Trends 1.0b, 9/17/2014) has 3 options for SATA CONFIGURATION (IDE, AHCI,& Raid). System is set to IDE but wish it to be either AHCI or Raid. Does this require a Bios update or can this be done using a method changing certain registry values as shown is some Utube videos.

Reaction score
One thing I ran into with the AHCI/RAID setting is Win10 automatically set up RAID apparently because 2 HDDs were plugged in. I removed what was D: drive later on and it broke the booting process. If use only for additional storage or installing programs on,I'd remove the non-OS drive before changing to AHCI which may require reinstalling Win10, plug it back in after Win10 is up and running.

Reaction score
Depends on your Bios setting - AHCI is the recommended. The difference in slot should make no difference. Since most new Chassis have space for multi SSD/HHD and you can set them in any position.
1578932523927.png
and we need more info on your Drive. (new,used,sata,ata) or what. Since you have 10 Sata 3 6gb ports, • SATA PortsSix (6) SATA 3.0 Ports support-ed by Intel® PCH (I-SATA 0-5),Four (4) SATA 3.0 Ports support-ed by Intel® PCH (S-SATA 0-3.
  • SCU means Storage Control Unit
  • SCUs support SAS drives with HDD enable module installed
  • SCUs do not support Optical Drives
  • There is no practical performance advantage when using SCU
  • Intel PCH supports two types of RAID controllers: AHCI and SCU
  • The thing listed as PCH is the normal AHCI mode.
  • The AHCI controller supports SATA drives and the SCU controller supports both SATA and SAS drives (Exceptions exist, like the SCU controller for PCH C602 that supports SATA only).

Ask a Question