Hard Drive Caution Status in Crystal Reports

Reaction score
Hi

I wondered if these scenarios sound familiar to anyone?

Yesterday I had crystal reports tell me my C drive had a status of caution. I built a rescue DVD and took a number of system image back ups using the provided windows tools.

When I used my rescue DVD, i didn't get passed the system trying to boot off the DVD, just seemed to Hang.

when I used the advanced options to try and restore any of the numerous systems images on various USB drives all visible and accessible and i get "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

I'm at a loss as what to do next

any assistance would be gratefully accepted (new drive on the way)

regards

Mike

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which backup method did you use to create a system image? Did you use the method in Control Panel > Backup and Restore (Windows 7) > System Image? Windows 10 doesn't make it as easy as it should be to image a drive. If you use the "file history" method of making a backup, it's not an image that you can restore from - it's just a file backup.

Do you know why Crystal Reports gave a caution warning? I guess one of the S.M.A.R.T values was out of whack and it thinks it may fail soon - but it may still be usable for cloning to the new drive. I would avoid using it in the meantime, in case it accelerates the decline.

Also - one last question - which drive are you trying to restore to as you mention that your new HDD is on the way?

Reaction score
Hi ian
not sure now which method i created it with, now just that it labelled the DVD as win 10 64 bit recovery disk

The crystal report was using SMART the errors related to 05 (reallocated sectors), C5 Current pending sector cont, C6 Uncorrectable sector cont.

it was my c: drive,

regards

Mike

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The recovery disk shouldn't be too important, as you can use a full Windows 10 installation DVD/USB to perform "repair" operations, which include restoring from images (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10).

However, if you've used the restore image screen and it can't detect any backups on your USB drives, that is concerning. Are you sure it's a system image backed up to the USB drives, rather than just file backups? How did you make the backup to the USB drive?

Reaction score
the usb drive is showing a number of windows image backups on the drive, not sure how I made them. I've now shut down the offending drive and so can't see the full backups as i have limited control over my work windows PC. (which i'm using to look at the USB drives)

I'll use the link above thank you!,when I get the new drive (in a few days it'll be delivered) and then once I have win10 is on the drive I'll try again on the systems image restore.

thank you very much again for your help at this time

regards

Mike

Ask a Question