Dell Precision T3610 system not able to boot up after setting Bios to default (Window 10)

Reaction score
It was found original main partition C was assigned to Drive D for unknown reason.
1. Not sure what's in drive C now. I only have one HDD attached to the system, but DOS print-out shows it's "System Reserve"
2. How to swap C and D so that my boot drive will be from newly assigned C drive?

Any help is appreciated

Dos_Capture.jpg

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi SectorWD,

Welcome to the Forum.

Judging by the image you posted you have booted into the System Recovery Environment (RE).

In the Recovery Environment (RE) you will typically see the command prompt X:\ >, and this requires sources to be able to run and allow a User to enter commands to repair their Windows OS. These sources are assigned Drive C as a System Reserved partition temporarily.

After you have run your repairs and boot back into normal mode with a repaired Windows OS, this reserved partition is no longer assigned Drive C as a partition, and instead Drive C is assigned to your primary partition of Windows 10 in this case.

As you are in your Recovery Environment, then at the X:\ > prompt you will need to type D: then press Enter key to get to the D:\ > prompt which will be the letter assigned the partition containing Windows 10 for the time being, given C has been assigned to a System Reserved partition.

Are you wanting to run some repairs on your Windows 10 OS?

You have not really indicated as to why you are booting into the Recovery Environment (RE) yet?

For example at the D:\ > prompt you could type chkdsk /r to perform a check of disk for errors scan which would repairs issues or mark sectors that cannot be repaired.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,
Thank you very much for your time and insightful information!
Below is what happened:

1. My dell system originally ran with WIndow 7
2. Company IT did massive update to Window 10 by remote for all PCs about 10 months ago
3. There was a flaw in my upgrade and system was not able to find boot up device.
4. It appeared BIOS setting was incorrectly set after upgrade for window 10 for unknown reason.
IT fixed it by changing BIOS to UEFI.
5. Since the PC consistently reset on test HDD attached to my system after certain time interval,
I tried to rest BIOS to factory default => not able to boot up any more
6. IT couldn't fix it by trying all BIOS settings like setting to UEFI, SATA connection to AHCI, using security boot option etc.

Suspect some BIOS settings were still incorrect due to flaw introduced during upgrade.
ScanDisk didn't find anything wrong with the device.

Not sure what to do next.
Would it help if I copy BIOS settings from my co-worker's Dell system?

Please kindly advise and sincerely appreciate the help!

ScanDisk_Capture.jpg

Regedit32

Reaction score
Did the Dell computer come with recovery disks or a recovery partition?

I'm wondering whether it might be better to reset Bios to default settings, run a recovery to return computer to factory settings [ which I assume included Windows 7 ], then get IT to do an Upgrade to Windows 10 manually on your computer.

If your fellow co-worker's computer is the same model as yours then it might be worth asking your IT folk to copy Bios info over. But, that assumes both of your computers contain the same hardware too [ i.e. motherboards, hard drives etcetera ].

Given Windows 10 was at one time on your computer it ought to have been assigned a digital license, so taking the route to recover the computer to its original factory status, then upgrading to Windows 10 will work fine as the digital license will automatically activate the Windows 10 OS. You'll need to back up program data and personal/business files on your computer before doing all this though.

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

Good suggestion! I am a little reluctant to revert to Window 7 because it's very time consuming to reinstall all work-related software.
My IT folk refused to copy BIOS setting from a known good PC with same Dell model.
Guess I have no choice but to back up all data and reinstall Window 10 from beginning :-(

Appreciate your great help and advice!

Reaction score
OK. try this and see if you can change:
boot to any bootable media
change to command Prompt as admin
type bcdboot C:\Windows /s D: /addfirst
type bcedit and you should see
similar to this:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume3