Bloatware-free Windows

Reaction score
I read on the internet that it's possible to buy bloatware-free Windows. Maybe it was about an older version of Windows not Windows 10.

Is it possible to buy a bloatware-free version of Windows 10 - either Home or Pro or both?

Reaction score
I read on the internet
Yeah, that's a problem, can literally read anything on the 'net but without references it's impossible to say whether it's true. Bloatware will always be subjective for individuals as to whether to keep or not. Generally any modification by a third-party of a distributed work for sale violates the EULA/End User License Agreement. Also any such modifications are subject to being reinstalled at the next Version Upgrade or sometimes by a Build update just as custom settings made by a user may get reset. But then I've never had to purchase a copy of Win10 for the several computers I have working so the no-cost inclusion of things not needed isn't a problem for me. Keeping Windows as delivered can help me at times working on clients' computers, lets me see what they see, also why I have 3 versions of Windows running.

Reaction score
It is a pity the MS don't release the Windows equivalent of FreeBSD. That is a Windows that only has the absolute minimum stuff in it. Although even that is pared down a bit more for use in commercial firewalls.

Reaction score
I agree. Maybe it was an older version of Windows that I read about. Apparently, there's no such thing as a bloatware-free Windows10.

Apple's OS X is bloatware-free; Linux is bloatware-free; Why is Windows loaded with bloatware?

I have a Mac, actually Macs. The 1st thing that I did after getting a new Windows computer was to go to Add or Remove programs & remove the bloatware. Then I went to the startup list (I can't remember the name) & disabled the startup programs. If I didn't recognize the file name, I googled it. If I wasn't sure whether or not to disable the file, I left it alone.

Reaction score
Microsoft want users to have everything related to MS pre-installed, it is bloatware to some and useful to others, you can remove most pre-installed MS apps via the settings manager, that said, an OEM install would have a lot more stuff already installed on your brand new PC!. :):):)

Reaction score
Why get stressed about it , anyway. The majority of users have overkill, as far as space is concerned. imho, the word bloatware is not correct, bt that is arguable. By definition it is "unwanted" software. There are, I am sure, a large percentage of users who want to basically install an OS and then have the facilities to do all the basic tasks. That they have.
If they require some piece of software which can offer more sophisticated options, the they should do so and make them there defaults.
Very few of those , so-called, bloatware items consume any memory or CPU time.

Reaction score
Agree with davehc about the phrase "bloatware". "software whose usefulness is reduced because of the excessive disk space and memory it requires."
First thing we did years ago when setting up a new PC was to uninstall all the crap programs installed by the vendor.
Now, with 4, 8, 12 MBs of memory and 500GB, 1 TB hard drives, I'll just go thru and stop almost everything from starting on boot except for AV. I show the customer available apps if they want to use them.
I'm referring to standard use customers, not gamers.

Reaction score
I have to agree with Dcs.79c in that, on a reliable website, I read that MS were intending to release a 'Lite' version of Windows 10 towards the end of this year.

For those with very small C:\ drives, ie as little as 32Gb, drive space is a premium and, in these instances, any extra, unwanted programs (considered by some to be 'bloatware' and, for me, includes all the games, plus some other stuff) are not necessary. So, worth bearing in mind that not everyone has a decent sized C:\ drive to accommodate all the 'extra' potentially unwanted software.

Yes, some of this can be deleted but not all. Also, deleting such programs can only be done AFTER installation so, if there is not enough space for a 'Spring / Autumn' update to be installed, one is 'stumped'. Certainly, a 32Gb drive has to be carefully 'managed' and so not for non-techie individuals.

Also, even though some of the extra software is removed, any of the large updates, ie Spring/Autumn tends to replace them again.

So, I for one, will be pleased to learn if MS do release such a thing as Windows 10 'Lite' (or whatever it might be called.

I will add that I am lucky enough to have a PC, laptop and small 2-in-1 with only 32Gb C:\ drive with the addition of micro-SD card, so I'm able to install several other programs (including MS Office Pro) onto this MicroSD card, thus saving valuable space on C:\ drive which has only Windows 10 installed on it.

Reaction score
I read on the internet that it's possible to buy bloatware-free Windows. Maybe it was about an older version of Windows not Windows 10.

Is it possible to buy a bloatware-free version of Windows 10 - either Home or Pro or both?
If by bloat ware you mean 'free' trial software etc try Novatech (/www.novatech.co.uk/) We've used them for years and they claim never to add adware etc. They build their own machines and / or to your spec Very good after sales and technical help as well

Reaction score
If by bloat ware you mean 'free' trial software etc try Novatech (/www.novatech.co.uk/) We've used them for years and they claim never to add adware etc. They build their own machines and / or to your spec Very good after sales and technical help as well
Hi Nancee

No, I mean 'extra' stuff in Windows OS, including v10. Some of the 'stuff' that comes with Windows could maybe be optional on installing? I've not seen anything from Novatech come with Windows but, I have to say, I have had my last couple of PCs from Novatech and can't recommend them enough either ;)

Mainly, the reason I posted in this thread was because I felt sympathetic to the original poster, especially as many of the subsequent posts seem to fail to appreciate some computer uses have very smalle drives

Wolfie seems to have appreciated what the OP was, perhaps, talking about. Whereas, however, davehc, seems to think everyone has plenty of space, when he says "The majority of users have overkill, as far as space is concerned. imho"

I do agree with davehc regarding what we mean by 'bloatware'. It's often used to refer to software that a particular user won't use, whereas, I understand 'bloatware' to be free trials of stuff being included in an OS

As for the suggestion of uninstalling unwanted 'extra' stuff, MS does not always give an option to uninstall. When it does give such option, I've found uninstalled software to be automatically re-installed with a major bi-annual update, so one has to go through the rigmarole all again. Unfortunately, the less experienced users (often the ones who unwittingly buy devices with small C:\ drives)

:)

Reaction score
Why get stressed about it , anyway. The majority of users have overkill, as far as space is concerned. imho, the word bloatware is not correct, bt that is arguable. By definition it is "unwanted" software. There are, I am sure, a large percentage of users who want to basically install an OS and then have the facilities to do all the basic tasks. That they have.
If they require some piece of software which can offer more sophisticated options, the they should do so and make them there defaults.
Very few of those , so-called, bloatware items consume any memory or CPU time.

It should be *MY* choice of what is on *my* machine. If I don't want an app or application, it is up to me and only me whether that app or application should stay on my system. Doesn't matter whether each one individually consumes little memory or CPU. They presumably use some, and therefore are using resources I have not authorized them to use. And any bit of superfluous code is yet more potential for critical bugs or vulnerabilities. Not to mention how many of these unwanted apps have the tendency to steal file associations from applications I DO want to use.

And it's not so much of a question of how mush disk space I have, but of how much I am forced to allocate to it because of bloat. I have MSWin10 on my system for those rare occasions where I have to run MSW in bare-metal. The alternative would be to install MSWin in a virtual machine, and in those cases I am even *more* concerned about memory and disk usage (as I want to allocate as few resources to the VM as possible).

Reaction score
You have an insurmountable problem ahead of you, my friend.
Maybe different in other countries, but, here, even if there was such a thing as a "clean" OS, the retailers here would, without doubt, put some of there own junk, usually game demos, on for your pleasure.
There may be such a thing in the world, but I do not know, personally, of any OS , very much including the main Linux distributions, which does not come loaded with extras

Reaction score
Hi davehc
Yes, I agree re 'an insurmountable problem ahead' with such small drives. I only got my little 'Linx' device (2-in-1) for fun, really, and was very inexpensive - achieved by these 32Gb eMMC drives and only 2Gb RAM. Yes, I know - pathetic. However, this little device has proved to be excellent and very portable. Any serious work is done on PC; can take laptop if doing other more demanding tasks but, very often, take Linx 10.1" if I think I might need something more than my phone.

Unfortunately, 'management' of such tiny drives is crux to coping with Windows ever-expanding OS but, for while I can keep it running well, I shall enjoy having the benefits. I feel very sorry for those that, knowing little re what they are getting, buy these type of devices, not appreciating their limitations re space and OS. Even the salesperson will be happy to sell them, not worrying about the how customer will have difficulties very quickly.

:)

Reaction score
Lol! Well, I see you have been a member for a while, but, nevertheless, welcome.

I reckon you are a guy willing to accept a teal challenge, running Windows 10 on that devoice
Anyhow, keeps you going.
PLeases me in a way. I like Windows 10 - You are proving what it can achieve on the fringes!
:confused::p:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You have an insurmountable problem ahead of you, my friend.
Maybe different in other countries, but, here, even if there was such a thing as a "clean" OS, the retailers here would, without doubt, put some of there own junk, usually game demos, on for your pleasure.
There may be such a thing in the world, but I do not know, personally, of any OS , very much including the main Linux distributions, which does not come loaded with extras

*BUT* in those distributions you can uninstall any of that stuff you don't want, and it obeys what you say. It doesn't sit like a spoiled brat and say"no, I don't wanna let you do that". There are also minimal distributions, and minimal install options. Years back, even if you had a system loaded with bloatware (hello Dell, hello HP) you could uninstall those unwanted applications.Wasn't always straightforward, but could be done. Alternatively you could get a base MSWin install CD (or set of floppies at one time) and install a clean base system.

These days it involves a lot of hacking, scripting, and sheer brute force to strip a MSWin system down. Those things I can't remove with some powershell script I end up having to boot to my primary Linux partition and delete from there (then in MSWin, run CCleaner to clean up the residual registry entries).

Alternatively, just run ReactOS.

Reaction score
jelabarre,
Obviously this forum topic would not be on any Facebook, Instagram, or whatever. We are mostly IT's or computer hobbyists or gamers.
I build PCs for a rare customer who wants a clean Windows build. Nothing but Windows, an AV and an office application.
Has anyone tried to go to a car dealer and get a new stripped down version? Without all the "bells and whistles"?

Ask a Question