Boot Failure after Auto Update

Reaction score
Installed a long automatic update yesterday (30 Sep 2016) on 64-bit Lenovo
which had upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and used new OS successfully for months.

This AM at next startup we get:

Recovery
PC needs to be repaired.
Boot Configuration Data is missing some required information
File \BCD
Error: 0xc000000d

I created installation Win10 iso DVD with MS Media Creation tool on another PC and tried this on damaged Lenovo.

I get the message: "it looks like you started an upgrade and booted from installation media" [that I just created].
If you want to continue with upgrade, remove media and choose "yes"
If you want to perform a clean installation, choose "no".

I had been hoping to access some repair tools from the install disk. Choosing "yes" just loops to "insert boot disk".

If I choose a clean install, will that whack other installed software? personal data and files?
Is there not a way to just repair boot config??

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi JoDoShep,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Windows 10 ISO you downloaded and burned to DVD needs to match the current one on your affected computer. The same Windows 10 edition, the same language, and the same architecture (i.e. 32 or 64 bit) to match your computers architecture type.

The Media Creation tool will create a bootable DVD and provided you have the same version as on affected computer, then when you boot from the DVD it will take you to the Recovery Screen where you can repair your installation, or if you wish do an in-place upgrade which effectively installs the OS over the top of current one.

Reaction score
I get the message: "it looks like you started an upgrade and booted from installation media" [that I just created].
There is a chance the system is trying back into the upgrade process already started since it does make modifications to the BCD store to allow it to do so. But it sounds like the BCD store is missing for now and you are certainly not the first person to have this problem. We just don't know why..

As Regedit32 mentions, it is important to get the correct version of the boot media and the Media Creation tool does allow you to download an .iso for another system. If you can get workable boot media you might be able to fix the BCD store or at least find out what is happening. You may also have to alter the Bios setup to just use the DVD for booting so it doesn't look for the normal device.

Do you have any other drives connected on the system, such as USB external ones?

Reaction score
There is a chance the system is trying back into the upgrade process already started since it does make modifications to the BCD store to allow it to do so. But it sounds like the BCD store is missing for now and you are certainly not the first person to have this problem. We just don't know why..

As Regedit32 mentions, it is important to get the correct version of the boot media and the Media Creation tool does allow you to download an .iso for another system. If you can get workable boot media you might be able to fix the BCD store or at least find out what is happening. You may also have to alter the Bios setup to just use the DVD for booting so it doesn't look for the normal device.

Do you have any other drives connected on the system, such as USB external ones?

The DVD drive is an external USB device. I also tried flash drive installation iso I created with the Media Creation Tool, but had the same result. If I can't get to the OS on the affected PC, how would I get the version of the OS install. If I just do a 'clean install', will that step on installed software or personal files?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
So we are clear, when you boot to the DVD you get a message about hitting a key to continue. If you actually get it booted and see the Select Language page, there is an option to "Repair your System" on the second page. If you select that it puts you into the Recovery options. I assume you are not getting any of these messages.

Your computer is older so you should be able to boot from the DVD or flash drive. You might try booting from both a powered down condition and a restart situation. The media has to be inserted prior to boot and if your system does not initialize the USB ports during early boot they may not be active. Make sure and check the bios settings for those to be used and while there see if you have an option to open a Boot Device Menu from the Bios Setup page.

If you have left out anything that happens while you boot from the DVD or USB drive, make sure and include those in the next post.

If you can't boot to some type of install/recovery media you may end up having to do a clean install, if that will even work.

Reaction score
I was able to access Troubleshooting and recovery tools from the Win Install DVD I created with the Media Creation Tool.

I have tried all 5 Advanced Troubleshooting Options (so far all unsuccessful):

Startup Repair ran for a while and then returned me to the "Install Now" or "Repair this PC screen".

Go back to Previous Build: “We ran into a problem and won’t be able to take you back to the previous build. Try “Reset this PC” (which does NOT appear in Advanced Options Menu).

System Restore Says to restart and then choose OS to restore, but system won’t restart.

System Image Recovery: says “Windows cannot find a system image on this computer.”

Command Prompt: X:\Sources\

I tried “bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd” found 2 Windows installations c:\windows & C:\windows.old\Windows. I said yes to add these both to the boot list, but got the message that “system device cannot be found”.

I tried “bootrec.exe /rebuildmbr” and “bootrec.exe /fixboot” and both said they were successful.

I tried “sfc /SCANNOW” but got “Windows Resource Protection could not perform requested operation.”

I also listed volumes of Disk Partitions and all were listed as “healthy”

I have not tried "Install Now" from the system disk as I hoped to find a repair mechanism instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
It does sound like something has happened to the BCD store and or the partition it was on. There is one other command you can run to try to restore a bootable version. Again from the Command prompt window.

bcdboot c:\windows

This assumes your Windows installation is on the C partition with does seem to be the case. If you want to verify, run the commands below.

diskpart
lis vol

This should list the partitions with letters and you can verify where Windows is.

Reaction score
Yes, this can be an issue... Yes, it can be threating so that it can cause you to "No Boot"
Now if you system is booting w/o any issue you can do this:
How to back up BCD store

To make a backup copy of your BCD store, open Command Prompt as Administrator and run the following command:

bcdedit /export filepath\filename (bcdedit /export "K:\bcdedit\bcdbackup"

How to restore it

If you are still able to boot and have a need to restore your BCD store to the previously state, you can run the following command in a Command Prompt window that runs as Administrator:

bcdedit /import filepath\filename

Several WinPE will assist you in a fix. since to many the commands needed to BCD Edit are very confusing...
as can be read above..... BCDEDIT is the command to run As Admin.

Try rebuilding the BCD again by executing the following, followed by Enter:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

which should produce this in the Command Prompt window:

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1] D:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:
meaning that the BCD store rebuild is progressing as expected.

At the Add installation to boot list? question, type Enter Y or Yes, followed by the Enter key.

You should see this on screen:

The operation completed successfully.

meaning that the BCD rebuild is complete.

10.) Restart your computer.
-------------------------------------
This is about as simple as I know how to do...

Ask a Question