SOLVED **Boot Failure ** on this error : Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal(ndis.sys)

Reaction score
Hi reader .

I have encountered a problem whilst booting on windows 10 .

Pc :

-Lenovo E51

-AMD GPU

-Intel i7

Error code that prevents booting of any sort (normal/safe mode etc.) :

-Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal(ndis.sys)

Cause/Symptoms :

I was busy installing a game and i had to run a .reg file . I did that and the pc acted strange , windows explorer kind of froze , but not a full extent . I then proceeded to restart the pc . That is when the error first came up(error above ) on restart . I Tried resetting the pc : That failed at 1% . Cant system Restore or go back to previous build . Startup repair also does nothing . The only thing i am able to access is the command prompt .Im pretty sure it has nothing to do with network drivers which is usually the case with ndis.sys errors , as my networking was always fine .

Any suggestions welcome

Thank you in advance

Daniel

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was busy installing a game and i had to run a .reg file . I did that and the pc acted strange , windows explorer kind of froze
Boot from the installation media and attempt to perform a system restore from there
The "Repair your PC" link on the second page after the choose your Language and Keyboard layout should allow you to get to Troubleshooting -> Advanced Option
Where "System Restore" should be one of the available choices.

CommandPrompt.JPG

Reaction score
Boot from the installation media and attempt to perform a system restore from there
The "Repair your PC" link on the second page after the choose your Language and Keyboard layout should allow you to get to Troubleshooting -> Advanced Option
Where "System Restore" should be one of the available choices.

View attachment 5211
This is a few week old computer and i have not had the chance to setup backups/restore points/Image recoverys . There are a few files on it i would very much like to keep as its work . The system restore function has no data and just reads : no restore points have been created on your computer...(etc.).
The only Troubleshoot function i seem to be able to use is the command prompt

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are you able to post the content of the REG file?

Right click and select Edit then copy content to here, or upload the file so I can take a look.

If you believe its the REG file modifications that caused this issue, then I can post instructions on how to reverse that via Command Prompt.

Alternately, in Command Prompt you can type devmgmt.msc then press Enter to open the Device Manager and take a look at whether any drivers are displaying a yellow triangle which would imply an issue. By right-clicking these and disabling them you may be able to then restart computer and get to a standard Desktop logon, where you can then start working on resolving the trouble.

Reaction score
Are you able to post the content of the REG file?

Right click and select Edit then copy content to here, or upload the file so I can take a look.

If you believe its the REG file modifications that caused this issue, then I can post instructions on how to reverse that via Command Prompt.

Alternately, in Command Prompt you can type devmgmt.msc then press Enter to open the Device Manager and take a look at whether any drivers are displaying a yellow triangle which would imply an issue. By right-clicking these and disabling them you may be able to then restart computer and get to a standard Desktop logon, where you can then start working on resolving the trouble.

Had to zip file , too large . I did try to enter the 'devmgmt.msc' command in the cmd , but it is not recognized as a command . -_-

Attachments

• Nfsmw.zip
    130.6 KB · Views: 383

Regedit32

Reaction score
Far out your desire for Need to Speed has given you a ton of bloatware and made multiple modifications to areas in the Registry you really do not want changed.

Do you have a Windows 10 Boot Disk at hand?

Reaction score
No I do not have one , as I HATE windows , I'm a proud linux user , i am fixing this for someone . I do not have any form of a windows os /recovery image /boot disk. If you believe the only way to fix it is from a boot disk , i may be able to get it to someone who has one.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You're going to need a Windows 10 iso matching the version on that computer:
  • So the iso needs to be Home if its Home on affected computer, Professional or Enterprise
  • Language needs to match
  • Also whether its 32-bit or 64-bit must match too!
Looking at that REG I'm seeing multiple references to DLLs that I'm guessing were replaced during game installation, and that may be the issue here.

It's taken over networking, logon, User Profile and added as I said bloatware such as download managers, bonjour, 7-zip [ not needed as Windows 10 uses its own compression/de-compression application ].

The uninstall paths are listed in the reg file for each of these programs, so if you can access that you may be able to fix this without the need to do an in-place upgrade [ i.e. install an identical version of Windows over the top of itself, while keeping files and settings ].

To be honest though I'd consider saving important files then doing a clean install and before running REG files have a long hard read of the TOS for that Steam game, and check game forums to see whether others using Windows 10 are able to run the game successfully or not. Not all Steam games work in the Windows 10 environment.

Go here for the ISO: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When there: press F12 then next to User Agent String click the Drop arrow and select Apple Safari (iPad) which will allow you to view the various Windows 10 editions for downloading, that makes it easier to select one matching your friends current installation.

Burn to DVD if you want then use it to install over the top. Or use it to run Recovery Console and try and uninstall the bloatware, and game etcetera and run a SFC /SCANNOW and a DISM restore-health which may help.

Information on the DISM commands can be found here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

Good luck!

Reaction score
You're going to need a Windows 10 iso matching the version on that computer:
  • So the iso needs to be Home if its Home on affected computer, Professional or Enterprise
  • Language needs to match
  • Also whether its 32-bit or 64-bit must match too!
Looking at that REG I'm seeing multiple references to DLLs that I'm guessing were replaced during game installation, and that may be the issue here.

It's taken over networking, logon, User Profile and added as I said bloatware such as download managers, bonjour, 7-zip [ not needed as Windows 10 uses its own compression/de-compression application ].

The uninstall paths are listed in the reg file for each of these programs, so if you can access that you may be able to fix this without the need to do an in-place upgrade [ i.e. install an identical version of Windows over the top of itself, while keeping files and settings ].

To be honest though I'd consider saving important files then doing a clean install and before running REG files have a long hard read of the TOS for that Steam game, and check game forums to see whether others using Windows 10 are able to run the game successfully or not. Not all Steam games work in the Windows 10 environment.

Go here for the ISO: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When there: press F12 then next to User Agent String click the Drop arrow and select Apple Safari (iPad) which will allow you to view the various Windows 10 editions for downloading, that makes it easier to select one matching your friends current installation.

Burn to DVD if you want then use it to install over the top. Or use it to run Recovery Console and try and uninstall the bloatware, and game etcetera and run a SFC /SCANNOW and a DISM restore-health which may help.

Information on the DISM commands can be found here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the help i will be giving this a try .
Enjoy your weekend .

Ask a Question