SOLVED Brand new PC, original Windows 10 disc can't boot

Reaction score
Hello all

I feel like I'm losing my mind... I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer to help me with this issue.

So I'm putting together a brand new PC, all components are new, nothing is from an existing PC.

I am now trying to boot from the Windows 10 disc (an original disc from Microsoft). It gets to the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" message, and then when I press a key it loads for a good 3-4 minutes, then a screen pops up saying "Recovery. Your PC/Device needs to be repaired... The operating system couldnt be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors. Error code: 0xc0000098"

What am I missing here? How could an original Windows disc not be booting?

In case it is relevant, the specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
Kingston HyperX 240GB
Crucial BX500 SSD
1TB WD Blue HDD
Corsair CV450 PSU

Reaction score
Hi,

disconnect all the drives (just remove the SATA cable) except the one you want to install Windows on and try again!. ;)

Reaction score
Is this a brand new bought last week original W10 disk or one you have had for some time? If the latter I wonder if downloading a new copy and putting it on a USB stick would allow it to load.

I wonder whether there is a disk that came with the mobo (which was Gigabyte) with drivers on it that W10 needs and doesn't have. I don't remember if I loaded that before W10 ( which was a bought that day new DVD) or after.

Last time I built a PC with a brand new Mobo the board came with a bootable disk with drivers on it.

Reaction score
Arggh... Thank you for the suggestions guys, I've discovered the issue. It's actually the RAM that is faulty, would you believe it. Here I thought it was Windows related but nope, the RAM is fricked. When the distributor delivered it to us (we're a PC company) the RAM was open for some reason, but we thought it's surely fine and went ahead and put it in. Now we know why it was open...

Good few hours of headache for nothing. Suffice to say it'll be going back to the distributor tomorrow!

Sorry for the trouble here friends!

Reaction score
At least you know what the cause is now. Please keep us posted and mark the thread as solved when it suits you. :)

Ask a Question