Browser in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) will open but slow to load pages (i.e. Facebook, FoxNews, etc.).

Reaction score
I will provide more information as I get input from others. I'm running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Precision 7520, 5i processor, 8 GB ram. All other local apps work with no issues. All updates are current on my computer/Windows 10, including firmware updates (all recommended, critical, and urgent updates).

For about a month and a half, when I load FIrefox, Chrome, or Edge the browser will open within seconds (normal). However, when I click on a icon for say Facebook, FoxNews or anything else, it takes upwards of one minute to open the page. The lag time makes the browsing experience nearly unusable. I've spent several hours on the phone with Dell tech support. They've been helpful, but the problem comes back after a few days. The only fix is to reboot. That's great, and we all know that rebooting fixes about 95% of our problems, including this one. However, I seemed to notice this happening after a critical firmware update from Microsoft (can't swear to it, but it's the best I have to go on). All other apps work fine: no other anomalies or problems with my computer or apps.

The Dell tech had me try the following the last time we had a session: see below
Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter. (this will stall for a moment)
Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter. (don't restart yet)
Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.

The last time I spoke to him, we did all updates recommended by Microsoft. The last thing he did was what I just showed above. For about 10 days, everything worked fine. Today, we're back to square one. I don't think this is an operating system problem because I have no other issues. As I mentioned, rebooting fixes the problems...temporarily. Any suggestions? Do you need more information? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks,

Befuddled_User
a.k.a. David

Reaction score
Windows update can cause this. I battle with it all the time. I can't turn it off. Every time I try it automatically turns itself back on.

I'm not saying this is what is happening. But if it is and when you reboot. You are temporarily suspending the update process.

Reaction score
You actually can turn it off if you use a third party utility called Windows Update Blocker.

It is tiny (464 KB) and not only disables the Update service but the Windows Update Medic service - this service can't be disabled by ordinary means and is responsible for monitoring the status of Windows Update. If you disable Windows Update the Medic Service will re-enable it and begin downloading updates. I have used this utility to disable updates and have had no issues with my 2009 vintage Dell PC with Windows 10 Pro 1903.

DBhxYPm.png

Not top of the line specs as you can see. The important thing is Windows Update Blocker puts YOU in control of the update process, not Microsoft. You can easily re-enable the Update/Medic services at will with this utility. Me? I keep them turned off. I hate surprises, like the ones when I want to use my computer for something but I can't because some update broke something. Then I have to spend hours and hours researching/trying to find a fix, or the more likely and most recommended solution, roll-back the update. Hey I got an idea - hot about NOT updating and avoiding all that wasted time and frustration/elevation of my blood pressure by disabling updates? Yup, I'll go with that. Updates are disabled, I use this PC everyday and haven't updated since 2019. Works perfectly, albeit a little slow due to low specs.

@Befuddled_User : see if you can fix the issues like you did the time Dell had you on the phone and create a restore point - at least you will be able to revert back to when everything was working perfectly if updates are causing problems. If this persists then I recommend disabling updates altogether, maybe enabling them when MS releases a newer build.

Ask a Question