BSOD Critical Process Died

KSV

Reaction score
After the recent (20H2) Windows 10 upgrade, my computer started misbehaving. I tried varous tricks like using a resore point but now I obtain BSOD Critical Process Died message repeatedly. The system chacks the hardware and finds no problem. Using one of the suggestions given on a related post, I have created a USB windows recovery drive using an older computer (Win10). This starts, but none of the recovery/troubleshoot/restore options have succeeded. Using the command prompt, I can see that the file structure on the C: drive is intact. Is there any way I can resore windows without losing my applications? My principal concern is that for some of the software installed, I may not be able to locate the product key. This goes for Windows 10, too.
One of the posts suggests use of bcdedit to set the computer to go into safeboot, but the system responds by saying that the command was not found. Indeed I cannot see it in Windows/system32 folder.
Any help in solving the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I may not be able to locate the product key. This goes for Windows 10, too.
Hi KSV,

you don't need the key if Windows 10 was activated!. click on "I don't have a product key" and Windows will auto-activate because it has a digital signature!.

See also: Re-install W10 and keep your files/app data intact | Windows 10 Forums :)

1608814325130.png

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I have some older programs that I still use and locating the product key after potentially years can be about impossible if you haven't saved them. After a similar problem awhile back I started a documents folder that I save to an external hard drive with nothing but product keys and registrations for every program that requires it.

If you haven't saved them you may have luck by contacting customer service for the program you need the key for. If you can remember the email and at least some purchase information you used when you bought it they may be able to provide you with a working key. I had to do that with my favored weather and clock apps and in both cases their customer service/tech support departments were able to give me a new key when I explained I had a catastrophic windows failure and lost the registration information when I had to do a clean install of Windows

KSV

Reaction score
I thank Wolfie and kbennet65 for your comments. Information about Windows product key gave me some reassurance. I am now resigned to reinstalling Windows using recovery USB. I shall follow the advice on contacting vendors if it became necessary.

KSV

Reaction score
The saga continues on another thread

Resetting the PC fails after earlier BSOD critical process died message​

Ask a Question