Can anyone explain this problem w.r.t. the onboard network adapter?

Reaction score
Hi All

The PC: HP Elitedesk G2 i5-6500, 16GB Ram, running Win 10 64 bit Pro on a 500GB SSD (& fully updated as and when updates arrive & I select them manually)

The network configuration: the network connection is via the onboard network adapter & port which is connected via a Cat 5E/Cat 6 patch cable to the house Cat 5E wired gigabyt network and then various 8 port Netgear switches to the router (ASUS RT-AC66U B1) and Virginmedia "Supermodem 2" cable modem (set into modem mode).

The problem (which now appears to have "cured itself"!): for quite a few weeks in October and November, when the PC was initially powered on at the mains socket and then booted to the desktop, the network status indicator on the Task Bar showed no network connection (and appeared possibly to have picked up another router which had temporarily been connected to the network months ago!). However, when I opened Device Manager and deleted the 1st entry in "Network Adapters" and then rebooted the machine, the correct on-board network adapter WAS selected and I then had a stable network (& internet) connection which worked/works fine for the rest of the day (and including after any further reboots - e.g. post any Win 10 updates).

As stated above, this situation persisted for quite a few weeks and, having failed to "fix" the underlying problem, I learnt to "live with it" - but then, about a week or two ago, I realised that the PC was now picking up the correct onboard network adapter during the initial power-on boot, and so I didn't need to go to Device Manager and then delete the driver and reboot!

Question: can anyone explain what might have caused the problem and/or why it seems to have "cured" itself now as I'd like to know a bit more about all this in case it should happen again?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: I bought an HP PCie network card to replace the on-board adapter but never got around to fitting it - so I still have that in reserve.

Reaction score
No replies and therefore Bumping this thread to see if anyone now has any ideas as to what did/didn't happen as that may thus answer the Question I posed above:

Thanks in advance (and have a Happy New Year!)

Ask a Question