Can I run Word 2000 in Win 10? Also, where is Freecell?

Reaction score
I finally got Win 10 to install - had to make a DVD & run from that - and most of my stuff seems to run.

But where do I get to Word 2000 - I see no way to open it?

And, the Freecell on the "cloud" is "OK"...but really noisy - can I run the old Freecell that is on my PC?

Reaction score
No, you cannot run Office 2000 in Windows 10. It is not even compatible with Windows 8.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...archTerm=&BreadcrumbPath=&TempOsid=Windows+10

So far I know, you can play Freecell in your PC.

Well, it was worth hoping...:rolleyes:

Is there a free - limited - version of Office, or do I have to pay for the subscription? Maybe Open Office needs a look...

I've tried to find the local Freecell, but not sure what the name of the exe is...

And worse, if I choose Win 7 at the start, it crashes...

Thanks

Reaction score
Well, it was worth hoping...:rolleyes:

Is there a free - limited - version of Office, or do I have to pay for the subscription? Maybe Open Office needs a look...

I've tried to find the local Freecell, but not sure what the name of the exe is...

And worse, if I choose Win 7 at the start, it crashes...

Thanks
I use Word 2000 and also found Freecell in Windows 10

Reaction score
Yes, I have run it successfully on Windows 10, but I upgraded to the 20H2 version of Windows 10 recently and because of corruption had to do a Windows reset. Now the reinstall of Word complains about DLLs failing to register and after ignoring these errors and letting the install finish, it won't run.

Reaction score
So now I'm back to Word 8, part of Office 97! I tried putting Word 2000 back on after installing Word 8, but it still wouldn't work and it also broke the Office 97 version that it was supposed to keep. Then I spent hours trying to fix it. It is much simpler though with basic functionality and without all those annoying bells and whistles.

Reaction score
I have Office 2000 on 2 Notebooks, still works but due to the interweaving with Windows I do a Custom install and leave out Outlook. Then I install the Compatibility Pack [for 2000, 2002/XP, 2003] to get compatibility with Office 2007 files, new formatting.

Reaction score
So now I'm back to Word 8, part of Office 97! I tried putting Word 2000 back on after installing Word 8, but it still wouldn't work and it also broke the Office 97 version that it was supposed to keep. Then I spent hours trying to fix it. It is much simpler though with basic functionality and without all those annoying bells and whistles.
"annoying bells and whistles" says it all! The creators of software don't realise that people don't want to be interrupted by messaged that prevent me from using macros straight away!!

Reaction score
Macros seem to have been causing issues with the various versions of Word, at least as long as I've been using it starting back with Word 6/Office 4.3.

As for the old games, I've been using those from WinXP on 64-bit Win 10 and somewhere on the 'net [WinAero] one can get those from Win7.

Reaction score
I'm happy with the Freecell that comes with Windows 10. I remember Word 6! I liked Word 97, especially for controlling the column widths of tables.

Ask a Question