Cannot search by typing on start menu or using search spyglass

Reaction score
Win 10 Enterprise. Worked fine for a couple of days, but now I cannot seem to bring up the start menu and start typing anything. It will not search. I also tried in the search box or spyglass... I just click on it and nothing happens. It is a major inconvenience. I don't want to do a restore and keep my files, because there is a HUGE list of applications I will then need to restore. I am hoping someone has a clue on how to fix this issue. I also tried to click on Cortana, but clicking the app does nothing, doesn't even bring it up.

I tried re-indexing search items, I tried the search troubleshooter. I have rebooted, I have installed all updates. Someone on another forum said kill the Cortana task... well there isn't one running.

Id love to be able to search again!!

Reaction score
See if this works for you....................

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see....

PS C:\windows\system32>

At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this.........

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red if any shows up.

When finished, try if you can do what you wanted to do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
unfortunately still a no after running that script. I didn't see any errors, and it went through and processed everything it looked like. I press start and start typing, but nothing happens. I click on Cortana, still nothing happens. I press the search spyglass (I changed it from search box) and still nothing. I had also uninstalled and re-installed office as that was also a suggestion from another forum somewhere.

I am happy to try anything else that may not involve system reset or reinstall. I know it initially worked on this machine, I don't recall installing anything after it was known to work... its like it just stopped one day..

Reaction score
its like it just stopped one day

How long ago was that ?

If not way too long ago, perhaps you can do a system restore. Pick a date when you did not have this problem as your restore point.
I am talking about system restore. Not to be confused with " system reset " that you mentioned. 2 different animals.
What to try that ?
Post back if you need to know how to do system restore.

Ask a Question