SOLVED Cannot disable "Search and Site Suggestions" in Edge search bar

Reaction score
I need help ! I have just downloaded the new Windows 10 Creators update. Since then when I type in the Edge address and search bar, I get a drop down list of sites and suggestions. I do not want this. I went to ..., Settings, View advance settings, Show search and site suggestions as I type. I then moved the slider to make sure it went to "Off". However, I have done this, and it makes no difference. I have done it about 10 times over a week, and it makes no difference. I still get the drop down box with sites and suggestions. I look sooo forward to some help. I need a drink !!!!

Reaction score
The obvious answer: Don't use Edge. I have been not using Edge from the first Insider version all the way through to the Creators Update.

Reaction score
Thanks Tim for taking the time to reply. I will stay with Edge for the time being. I hope to get a reply with a solution to this. God bless.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi acerguy,

I've spent a few hours playing around with this.

From what I can tell when you toggle off the search and site suggestions, or toggle it back on, the Registry automatically records this change in multiple locations. 0 = off, 1 = on.

On top of that former gems like SearchScope's ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal DWORD (32-bit) value now no longer alter their state, but instead remain set on 0, which is supposed to be disabled or off.

Windows Enterprise or Mobile users who are willing to pay for access to a new service from Microsoft can set polices to prevent precisely what you want to do; however for a Home, or Professional user there is little you appear to be able to do other than rely on those toggles in the Browser itself, although Professional users still have a couple of Group Policies they can try if they wish.

I think this will end up being one of those bugs that Microsoft may fix with a future update - subject of course to whether enough people complain of the issue.

At this time I can see no work-around using the Registry - I've attempted to, but it appears Microsoft is blocking those older tricks now. I'll keep it in mind though and if any other ideas come to mind will see whether they work.

One part of the Registry you could modify currently has a warning key about Microsoft's TOS, so it would be unwise to tamper there as that would be breaching laws that would be stupid to do - given the far reach of lawyers and courts in the Global society we live in now.

The one thing I did not try was to do an in-place upgrade of Creator (i.e. reinstall it over the top). Actually two things: I also did not attempt to remove Edge, then re-install it. I suspect it will make little difference to be honest, but it may be worth attempting.

I see you have also approached Microsoft Community Forums with this question. The one posting there from a contributor will not resolve this issue. Perhaps when enough moan there they'll move the posts to TechNet site instead where someone may have better suggestions.

If you do come across a solution yourself, please do update this thread as we can all learn :)

Regards,

Regedit32

PS: If you want a list of Registry keys associated with this particular feature let me know and I'll post them in the thread.

Reaction score
I use Edge as my default. I find it uses less resources compared to some of the competing "cut down" browsers. But everyone to their own taste.
I don't. Unfortunately, see the query as a bug. It is m standard in other (not all) browsers, in particular the very popular Chrome.
I would ask, though, why it is an intrusion?
If you are searching, then it is helpful, if you are merely typing an address which you need to access ...? Just ignore the drop down, or, alternatively, use one of the offers.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I don't. Unfortunately, see the query as a bug.

I disagree. It is a bug given the Advanced Settings for Edge has a Toggle on/off for this feature. If you toggle it off it's not unreasonable to expect the feature to actually turn off - which currently it does not do.

Reaction score
Ok.I have to agree. But, it is working with the cookies. These can be useful or. very much of a nuisance. I think, if the OP customises to delete his cookies every time he leave edge. he will not get this problem.

Reaction score
Thank you Regedit for your awesome reply. You always have great replies and help. It is good to see, as we don't see many helpful and sincere helpers these days. Thanks so much.
BUT, here is the good news !! I just had the update installed of "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016871)", today 12th may. The problem has now disappeared. Just like you said that Microsoft may fix the problem in future updates if enough people complain.
Thanks davehc also for your concern.
Wow Regedit, that was sooo cool that you also knew I posted on the Microsoft Community Forum.
Once again, many thanks, keep up the good work. God bless.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Great news acerguy.

Thank you for letting me know.

I'll have to go read the documentation on that KB you mentioned, to see what files and changes they made.

Ask a Question