Can't boot beyond Date/Time page

Reaction score
I was asked to update Win-10 by Windows. After updating I was not able to boot up past the Date/Time page. Normally I would be asked here for my password but the page just re-loads.
I shut the computer down three times to get to the Recovery program and got to the Automatic Repair page. Two small windows are shown, "Advanced Options" and "Shut Down" with the latter highlighted. I cannot access this page as my keyboard and mouse do not function to affect any change.
Not sure where to go from here.
Thank you

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried with both wired and wireless mouse & Keyboard with the same result. There is not even a flashing curser in the boxes.

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried with both wired and wireless mouse & Keyboard with the same result. There is not even a flashing curser in the boxes.
Well give Kyhi repair disk a try. i used Rufus to create a Bootable USB that should get you in to Win PE where you can work on your actual windows, if not then most likely you have a hardware issue

Reaction score
I was asked to update Win-10 by Windows. After updating I was not able to boot up past the Date/Time page. Normally I would be asked here for my password but the page just re-loads.
I shut the computer down three times to get to the Recovery program and got to the Automatic Repair page. Two small windows are shown, "Advanced Options" and "Shut Down" with the latter highlighted. I cannot access this page as my keyboard and mouse do not function to affect any change.
Not sure where to go from here.
Thank you

Try this, 'Boot to Advanced Startup Options from a Hard Reboot' this option can be handy if you are unable to boot into Windows.

SHIFT + Restart
  1. Hold down either SHIFT key while tapping or clicking on Restart, available from any Power icon.
    1. Tip: Power icons are available throughout Windows 10 as well as from the sign-in/lock screen.
    2. Note: This method does not seem to work with the on-screen keyboard. You'll need to have a physical keyboard connected to your computer or device to open the Advanced Startup Options menu this way.
  2. Wait while the Advanced Startup Options menu opens.
You can see how all the different boot options work in windows 10 on this link: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4097-go-back-previous-version-windows-windows-10-a.html

And also see this:
'How to Enable or Disable Legacy F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10' its on this link: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22455-enable-disable-f8-advanced-boot-options-windows-10-a.html and follow option 1.

This should also recover your mouse as your problem is a windows problem that is related to and with your previous faulty version of the upgraded windows 10.

Also take note of this:
The Advanced Boot Options screen is the old black screen at boot like in Windows 7 and previous Windows. Advanced Boot Options lets you start Windows in advanced troubleshooting modes like Advanced Startup Options. However, you access the Advanced Boot Options screen by turning on your computer and keep tapping the F8 key before Windows starts.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the legacy F8 Advanced Boot Options screen at boot in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable the F8 Advanced Boot Options screen.

notesmall.png
If you have Fast Boot enabled in your UEFI firmware settings, then you will not be able to boot the Advanced Boot Options screen since you will not have time to press F8 before Windows starts.

notesmall.png
If you dual boot Windows 10 with another Windows and have enabled Advanced Boot Options, then you will always see the Windows Boot Manager screen below first at boot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
See if you have an Ease of Access icon. (It looks like a dotted circle with arrows pointing down and on the right).
It's normally located on the bottom-right corner of the screen.
Click the icon to see the Ease of Access menu, wit has several options to assist users. The option you want is On-Screen Keyboard.
Click or tap it and you’ll see a full-size virtual replica of a standard keyboard layout appear on the screen.
You may then be able to login.

Reaction score
See if you have an Ease of Access icon. (It looks like a dotted circle with arrows pointing down and on the right).
It's normally located on the bottom-right corner of the screen.
Click the icon to see the Ease of Access menu, wit has several options to assist users. The option you want is On-Screen Keyboard.
Click or tap it and you’ll see a full-size virtual replica of a standard keyboard layout appear on the screen.
You may then be able to login.

This is all good 'davehc' but, he can only get into the 'Date/Time page' which is the first page, so how can he get to the 'Ease of Access icon' if its not there??? That is why I suggested a 'Hard Reboot with the SHIFT + Restart' keys option, as this will get his mouse cursor back and will get him into the 'Advanced Startup Options'. This has happened to me and this is how I've solved this problem when a mouse cursor disappears, this happened to me with win 8.1 as in windows 10 this is very unusual.

Reaction score
I just guessed he meant the login page. Not something I have ever noticed when I boot, but after browsing I can now see where he is sticking.
I am guessing that, like many users, he has not made any third party images with an autoboot usb/cd

There seem to be a few instances posted on the web and, so far as I can read, the solutions are not too good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately there is no power icon at the bottom right of the sign in page so I am unable to move to Advanced Startup Options. there is no "Ease of Access icon" available, just an icon that looks like a monitor with a mouse. Selecting this does the same as hitting Enter and just resets the date/time page

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately there is no power icon at the bottom right of the sign in page so I am unable to move to Advanced Startup Options. there is no "Ease of Access icon" available, just an icon that looks like a monitor with a mouse. Selecting this does the same as hitting Enter and just resets the date/time page
Well, Joe, is you'll create Khyi repair disk, you will be able to boot to PE environment where you'll be able to repair your windows Image

Reaction score
Well, Joe, is you'll create Khyi repair disk, you will be able to boot to PE environment where you'll be able to repair your windows Image
Hi Clint
Can you explain for me how to create the Khyl repair disk? I would like to give it a try. Thanks for your time
Joe

Reaction score

Joe, surely you have a 'power' button', its impossible for your computer not to have one! Try to reboot the system with a 'Hard Reboot' turn your system off by holding the power button down for a few seconds, once the system is off then > hold the Shift key > while holding the Power button until the system 'reboots' this should boot the system into the 'Advanced Startup Options'. If that does not work then follow these steps:

Method 1: Hit F11 while Rebooting

On many computers, if you hit F11 as soon as the computer powers on, you can get to the Advanced Startup Options menu.

Method 2: Boot from an Install Disk

1. Create a bootable Windows 10 install DVD disk or USB media, if you don't have one already? (use a USB thumb drive of 8GB capacity) to create an install media go to Microsoft and download the 'Media Creation Tool' from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 this link will also explain how to do it either with a USB media or a DVD.

2. Boot Computer from your media DVD or USB (Make sure that your BIOS is set to boot either from an ATAPI CDROM for a DVD media disk or a USB HDD for a USB thumb drive as that should be its 'First Boot Priority Order'!

3. Click > Next (once all the settings are correct e.g. language, time and currency, keyboard)

4. Click > Repair Your Computer (bottom of page, you can then see the Choose an option screen)

5. Click > Troubleshoot

troubleshoot1.png

Note: Booting from an 'Install Disk' always works and if you follow the above instructions you will get into the 'Advanced Startup Options' and you will be able to fix your problem, I would suggest doing a 'System restore' first (if it allows you to do that) as that is the simplest way to fix your problems, hope this helps, cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Steven..
I followed all your steps through Method 2.5 and got to the "Advanced Startup Options." I ran "System Restore" and did a reboot but was again taken to the Date/time page and could go no further. Thanks for your suggestions.
Joe

Reaction score
Hi Clint
Can you explain for me how to create the Khyl repair disk? I would like to give it a try. Thanks for your time
Joe
I used Rufus to create the USB Boot thumb drive from the ISO download. There are lots of tips in that thread. My first move would be to run the DISM tools on your main windows from the PE environment
I'm not that experienced with the program but that thread and Kyhi can be really helpful. this disk was created for the situation just like your in now.

Reaction score
Thanks but what you are suggesting is beyond my laymens capabilities.
Joe, my suggestion is, take your computer to a computer expert and let them do the job as you will stuff it up and/or you will lose all your files and your system won't be recoverable, with your laymen's knowledge lol its very hard to suggest anything else as there are some complex steps that can be taken and that needs expertise. Next time I would suggest doing a cloning with 'Macrium Reflect v7' to create an Image of your PC as then you would have had a perfect clone of your system on another disk but, that is another process that you could learn once you have fixed this problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks but what you are suggesting is beyond my laymens capabilities.
Well the as StevenG suggested you'll have to take it to a professional, Recovering a system as screwed as your will that some technological knowledge.

Macrium Reflect would have got you back up and running in less than 20 minutes, so once you get back up and running install MR and create Disk/SSD Image and on a regular basis create Differential backups. Always before a major update create a Disk Image then run the upgrade if you have a failure like you have, all you have to do is restore that disk/SSD image and your right back where you were before the disaster.

Last edited:

Ask a Question