Can't Boot (and No Access To Safe Boot)

Reaction score
I ran out of hard drive space during an operation, so erased some files, and tried to re-boot, but it gets stuck a second after those circular dots start to rotate.

I can't get to booting in safe mode either. Tried assigning the boot mode to legacy so I can use the F8 key, but no luck.

When I get to repair attempts they fail.

I have a boot USB drive with my Windows 10 on it.

Any idea what I can do? Why won't Windows 10 allow for safe boot when Windows won't run?

Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Why won't Windows 10 allow for safe boot when Windows won't run?
It does..... assuming that
so erased some files
Some of those weren't critical operating system files.
I have a boot USB drive with my Windows 10 on it.
Boot the system from that and on the second page following the keyboard and language selection page use the "Repair your computer" link to access the advanced troubleshooting options and use "Startup settings" from there to boot the computer into safe mode or safe mode with networking

StartupSettings.PNG

Reaction score
It does..... assuming that

Some of those weren't critical operating system files.

Boot the system from that and on the second page following the keyboard and language selection page use the "Repair your computer" link to access the advanced troubleshooting options and use "Startup settings" from there to boot the computer into safe mode or safe mode with networking

View attachment 6279

I don't get the Startup Settings option. I get "UEFI Firmware Setting."

And no, erased no Windows files.

Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is peculiar. When I boot my UEFI system from properly configured UEFI boot media I get this

AdvancedTrobuleShootingOptions.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't be the one to decide that but personally I don't think I would devote a lot of more time trying to avoid a clean install.
Especially if you have all your critical data backed up and safe.
You've said that
When I get to repair attempts they fail.
So I'll assume that both System Restore and Startup Repair have not gotten you anywhere.
I think I would just bite the proverbial bullet and embrace the clean install

Reaction score
Yes, those repairs failed. So I take it being able to boot from safe mode wouldn't give me more chances to solve my issue?

Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It probably would or at least it may, but....
I thought you had already stated that you were not able to accomplish that task.
Including
Tried assigning the boot mode to legacy so I can use the F8 key, but no luck
IF you can boot to your boot media and get to a command prompt from there using the Shift + F10 key combination or selecting the Command Prompt option from the advanced troubleshooting options and then type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
OR
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
It's been a while since I tried either but last time I checked one or the other should work.
Be sure to shut the computer down completely and then start rapidly tapping the F8 key before you even touch the power button.
I've even had instances where I just press and hold the F8 key before turning on the power.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't believe that it is necessary but I usually do.
IF I recall correctly, the last time I did it, I just did it from X:\Sources or whatever the default directory is when you launch a command prompt from the installation media, and it worked fine.

Reaction score
Looks like I have to do a clean install, and I don't know where my activation key is. My unbootable drive is viewable when using another drive to boot. Is there some place in file Explorer that I can find my key is so I have it for a fresh install?

Reaction score
My unbootable drive is viewable when using another drive to boot. Is there some place in file Explorer that I can find my key is so I have it for a fresh install?
You shouldn't need to re enter your cd key when reinstalling. The only way I know to extract the key, you'd have to be able to boot to the drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As Bigfeet has said.
Once you've installed Windows 10 onto a computer and it has been activated, you never need a product key again when installing (clean, repair, or other) it on the same computer, as long it is the same version (Home or Pro), and you haven't made to many hardware changes and raised Microsoft's ire

Ask a Question