Can't Boot (Critical Process Died)

Reaction score
getting the above error after 3 fresh windows 10 installs, at various stages after the install. all seemed well for hours.

i had no viruses. i tried to reboot in all the offered manners (e.g. safe boot, debug, etc) but could never re-boot.

any idea why this is happened at various times?

getting the above error after 3 fresh windows 10 installs, at various stages after the install. all seemed well for hours.

i had no viruses. i tried to reboot in all the offered manners (e.g. safe boot, debug, etc) but could never re-boot.

1 thing - i don't have the driver cd, so i downloaded ones from the support page, but may not have had them all installed, if that is relevant.

thanks.

(i have an SSD, Intel i7 6700K, MSI Z170A Gaming M3 motherboard, W10 Pro)

thanks.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
i have an SSD, MSI Z170A Gaming M3 motherboard
I'd check with the hard drive manufacturer to see if there is a possible firmware update. I'd also check with MSI to see if there is a BIOS update for that specific motherboard.
after the install. all seemed well for hours
After the install seemed to be working "well", what actions might you have taken?
Any software installed?
Any hardware components added or their drivers updated?
after 3 fresh windows 10 installs
Are you using the latest ISO from Microsoft to perform these installs
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Finally check your system memory.
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Reaction score
I'd check with the hard drive manufacturer to see if there is a possible firmware update. I'd also check with MSI to see if there is a BIOS update for that specific motherboard.

After the install seemed to be working "well", what actions might you have taken?
Any software installed?
Any hardware components added or their drivers updated?

Are you using the latest ISO from Microsoft to perform these installs
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Finally check your system memory.
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

I did not add any components (have only a DVD drive and second SSD). Software I added was minimal, and not always the same. I relied on Microsoft for drivers on 1 occasion, downloaded some on another. Maybe not all tho.

Will try the RAM test and maybe SSD.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
have only a DVD drive and second SSD
What about your GPU? Is it integrated on the MoBo or an add-in card?
Software I added was minimal, and not always the same. I relied on Microsoft for drivers on 1 occasion, downloaded some on another
You should probably develop a diagnostic, step by step protocol in performing the above.
In other words..... IF you avoid all of the above, no added software and no drivers from external resources (only those provided as part of the install or provided as part of the Windows Update process)......
Does your computer run for days without crashing?
IF so, then you need to add software and or drivers (if needed) slowly, one at a time, to determine which, if any is having a negative impact on your computer.
Add one package, reboot, run your computer for a while to test, maybe throw in another reboot or two before progressing to the next package and testing that.

Reaction score
I would check that the RAM sticks are firmly seated in their slots and locked. internal operating temperatures can cause RAM sticks to creep if not fully seated. Gaming PC, can reach insane temperatures if the cooling system isn't operating correctly.
Do you have a recent system image of before the problem started?

Reaction score
no GPU or sound card.

no image of a previous working state.

not gaming or stressing the system.

can try 1 more time to install, and save an image each time i do something new.

can try run memory test, tho i understand that can take many hours.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
can try run memory test, tho i understand that can take many hours.
Yep..... 6 or 7 passes which can indeed take hours, like 8 or so. I usually recommend running it overnight, unless it starts posting red errors early in the process.
IN which case you need to start over, with a single stick of memory and a relatively long process of elimination, of the individual memory modules, the slots and possible combinations or multiple sticks in multiple slots.

Reaction score
You didn't mention if your using the latest ISO as trouble suggested.

Reaction score
You mention having a second ssd. I'd disconnect it before installing Windows (reconnect after).

Reaction score

1 thing - i don't have the driver cd, so i downloaded ones from the support page, but may not have had them all installed, if that is relevant.

thanks.

(i have an SSD, Intel i7 6700K, MSI Z170A Gaming M3 motherboard, W10 Pro)

thanks.

I have solved my same error with this working tutorial http://windows10helps.com/critical-process-died-in-windows-10/

Ask a Question