Can't burn Blu-rays, only CDs

Reaction score
I put a bigger SSD in as bootable disk, a 512 instead of the trusty 256, and all went well. Replacedmy Pioneer BluRay writer with a more up to date LG. Then the problems started. The LG wouldn't burn anything other than a CD. I took it out, sent it back, removed the Cyberlink Media software (with constant "errors" it must be said) and put the old Pioneer back. But that has the same problem. Refuses to burn to anything other than CD - in Nero 2016, it says Discs:CDR and thats it. Windows must be the block, but where, how ?
I assume the problem was moving SSD's. BUT went back to old 256gb SSD and no different. Same CD-only burn
Anyone have a clue before I scrub Windows 10 and go back to scratch and start again with 8 ?

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
I put a bigger SSD in as bootable disk, a 512 instead of the trusty 256, and all went well. Replacedmy Pioneer BluRay writer with a more up to date LG. Then the problems started. The LG wouldn't burn anything other than a CD. I took it out, sent it back, removed the Cyberlink Media software (with constant "errors" it must be said) and put the old Pioneer back. But that has the same problem. Refuses to burn to anything other than CD - in Nero 2016, it says Discs:CDR and thats it. Windows must be the block, but where, how ?
I assume the problem was moving SSD's. BUT went back to old 256gb SSD and no different. Same CD-only burn
Anyone have a clue before I scrub Windows 10 and go back to scratch and start again with 8 ?
Have you tried downloading Cyberlink Power To Go that works ok with windows 10

Reaction score
Thats not the problem. The problem is that my BDR now refuses to do anything other than CD's
No software will work. Nero 2016 just says it can ONLY write to CD, Ashampoo just crashes, Cyberlink just said "Unidentified error"

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Have you even tried their own Windows Media Player
You have to download Windows live Esencials
As that is the only thing I can think off
You have tried the rest,
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Cyberlink and update with the latest drivers, or run Trouble shooter and see what that finds and fixes for you

Reaction score
Software isn't the problem. I believe. NOTHING works.
I will be uninstalling and reinstalling various progs to see if that makes any diff, but I doubt it

Reaction score
Phil,
Whether software is the problem or not remains to be verified.
Hope you have success solving the problem.
I don't have any answer for you except to tell you this..............
Windows Media Player is included in Windows 10. You can find it under All apps > Windows Accessories.
No need to install it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Phil (from another Geordie!).

Do you have the model number of the LG BluRay writer? Also, have you tried with more than one blank BluRay disk? Do BDs play ok?

As your old (previously working) BluRay drive no longer works, it's probably not a hardware problem (although you could be unlucky!). When you moved back to the old SSD and drive, was it the same OS/software installation? If so, that would be very odd if the same hardware and software failed to work. If that was the case, I would double check the media you are using in case there is a problem there.

Reaction score
Appears the problem is NERO. Nero 2016 platinum. Nero Express Help keeps trying to reinstall itself and somehow it's causing the problems. When Nero 2016 is uninstalled, Ashampoo burns dvd's OK. When reinstalled, it doesn't burn anything more than CD. Tried to install my Nero 2012. It says it's installed but it's nowhere to be seen. Nero putting too much crap in their programs

Reaction score
I've tried everything and according to the Memorex support ppl, Win10 cannot burn/(recognize as well) blurays. I've been able to play brs that I burned (on Win7) with the same version of Cyberlink on Win10, and I've actually burned new blurays, but the newly burned brs will not read/playback...everything points back to Win10 as the culprit. Nero won't read or write anything on a BR disc...even though they say that all of their versions work (their support & forums are useless). It's up to Windows. I'm trying to go back to Win7 or 8, but since it's been 30 days since I upgraded, I can't go back unless I wipe the drive, buy a new installation disc ($100), and destroy everything on my HDD. I can't back the disc up because I can't burn brs, I could buy an external HD, I have 400GB of data to back up or lose forever...thanks Windows, glad my iMac is still my #1 system, I just use Windows laptop to run video to a widescreen hdtv. don't write over your San Discs unless you have a verified back up on dvdr/bdr. Windows always gets something wrong with a new release. The best thing to do is not upgrade I guess. I'm stunned that they got this wrong, and said nothing about it...

Last edited:

Ask a Question