SOLVED Can't delete an old anti virus folder

Reaction score
recently i tried out a 30 day trial version of kaspersky. but few weeks later found another great anti virus program with a one year coverage. i was able to delete most of the files pertaining to kaspersky. but not the one embedded in registry and in hard drive under program filesx86. it just wont let me delete those remnants saying i need admin rights etc. if cant give me a well detailed instruction on resolving this would be great.

CANT add permission 2 control.PNG
CANT DELETE KAS 2.PNG

Reaction score
Hi GRD1,

see the following link for the Kaspersky removal tool but also read the warning!.

Removal tool for Kaspersky applications (kavremover)

Do not use the kavremover tool unless recommended to do so by Kaspersky technical support engineers.

Also, you can try pressing the Windows logo key + r and type "regedit" say yes to the security question > HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE > Software and search for Kaspersky folders and delete them!. :)

1606381344572.png

Reaction score
thx a lot wolfie! i was wondering why not all the data couldnt be removed, then i thought maybe thats their way of reminding you its just a trial and any attempt to use it again maybe with a different name and email address youll be denied access etc.cheers!

p.s. once i get things sorted out here, then i will reply back to the thread.

Reaction score
yes the kasp tool..im thinking each program has their own removal tool. just in case i run into another issue with another program, good to have info on hand

Reaction score
There are several removal tools but even then, you might find a file or two in the registry, the "regedit" > HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE > Software and search for folders and delete them is often the best way if you have stubborn software!. Try and avoid using it if you can. ;)

Uninstall Avast example below.

Uninstalling Avast Free Antivirus | Official Avast Support

Avira.

Uninstallation of Avira for Windows – Official Avira Support | Knowledgebase & Customer Support | Avira

Also; using Avira as an example, make sure you mark "Show hidden files" in file explorer and look for any bits that need to be manually deleted!. :)

Delete the following folders if they exist:
◦ C:\Program Files\Avira
◦ C:\ProgramData\Avira
◦ C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira

Reaction score
if you have access to command outside of the windows environment , you can delete the directory tree structure to remove all the viral data. there may be other registry paths once discovered that allows the virus to remain active under registry pseudonyms within the virial programing. so becomes more pervasive and hides it self actively. System Restore to a point before you installed the software.

Reaction score
thx, but currently i dont have sys restore on because of the lack of HDD space. its my fault if i face a day where i need to restore to a later date and dont have any points saved. cheers

Ask a Question