Can't Eject USB Mass Storage Device

Reaction score
I dropped my WD Portable 2 TB USB drive that I used for saving my Win 10 images and back ups. It didn't survive the G forces, it's now toast. I have a couple of smaller drives that I use as spares and my daughters disk images. Until my new drive arrives I'm using a spare Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3300831A 300GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Hard Drive for my disk image and back ups.

The problem I'm having is this drive will not eject "safely" using the icon on the task bar "remove hardware and eject media" It's not a PC issue as I've tried the Seagate drive it on 2 machines, with the same results. I can remove other USB portable hard drives and thumb drives safely using the tray icon. It appears that this particular USB HD Seagate Barracuda drive doesn't like Windows 10. It always worked well (safe removal) on Win 7 Pro. Today is the first time I've used it on Windows 10 OS. I've spent most of today checking just about everything I can think of. The safe removal problem appears to be unique to this particular drive. Currently I'm shutting down the PC to remove it safely.

When I click on the safe removal icon I get a warning.
"Problem ejecting mass storage device.
Windows is unable to stop USB Mass Storage Device
while still in use. Close any programs using this device then remove it"

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Norton

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you checked the properties of the drive in device manager.
Policies tab
Quick removal radio button

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Yes the policies are set as shown. Also checked Task Manager, no processes running, msconfig normal start up >l
Load Start up items > Services .Disabled clean boot. No changes with the USB drive "Safe Shutdown"
Same message when clicking Safe Removal icon. Tried My PC and right click on drive there is no eject option, but when I right click a thumb drive the eject option is present. This morning I had hair, not much hair tonight. LOL

Ask a Question