Can't find anything since going over to 10 !

Reaction score
I miss the old programs list of for example XP or Windows 7 and in particular the accessories list , here you could refresh your memory on what was available and this was required quite frequently. Recently I wanted to use Print Screen and remembered you had to use Paint, it was only by putting it in search I was directed to it as a desktop App, I must admit I never knew that before but this wasn't on my desktop anyway so how does windows expect me to find it ? Windows Explorer was also in the old Accessories list but I must admit in this case that has been moved to a more prominent place in the start menu. ( and I am using the taskbar/information bar at the bottom of the screen but it is getting full !
Died in the wool oldies like myself don't react kindly to change particularly when much of the changes in Windows 10 seem to be more for change for the sake of change rather than an improvement. Perhaps I am missing the point, if so I would welcome a little handbook on how to navigate around the site and highlight the main and basic changes in the hands on mode we use on a daily basis

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
I miss the old programs list of for example XP or Windows 7 and in particular the accessories list , here you could refresh your memory on what was available and this was required quite frequently. Recently I wanted to use Print Screen and remembered you had to use Paint, it was only by putting it in search I was directed to it as a desktop App, I must admit I never knew that before but this wasn't on my desktop anyway so how does windows expect me to find it ? Windows Explorer was also in the old Accessories list but I must admit in this case that has been moved to a more prominent place in the start menu. ( and I am using the taskbar/information bar at the bottom of the screen but it is getting full !
Died in the wool oldies like myself don't react kindly to change particularly when much of the changes in Windows 10 seem to be more for change for the sake of change rather than an improvement. Perhaps I am missing the point, if so I would welcome a little handbook on how to navigate around the site and highlight the main and basic changes in the hands on mode we use on a daily basis

Hi don't know how old you are but I am getting on in years, I prefer the new look 10, also on Print Screen I have always used paint or paint net.
The reason being I can crop out what I want to save,.
You can save also more in start menu by pinning them.
How long have you had windows 10 for.
Also windows 10 has made a vast improvement, well in my eyes they have not half the trouble I was getting with windows 7 or 8.1.
What other things don't you like about 10

Last edited:
Reaction score

Just a learning curve we all have to hurdle over.
That is also why we have forums to help.
Anytime you have a question, post back and we will do our best to help.
But make sure the question is specific, not generalized.

Reaction score
I miss the old programs list of for example XP or Windows 7 and in particular the accessories list , here you could refresh your memory on what was available and this was required quite frequently. Recently I wanted to use Print
Do you know about Classic Shell? It gives you the Start just as you remember it plus you can switch back and forth to Windows 10 Start with a single click instantly. Here is the link http://www.classicshell.net/. It is a free no hasels download.

Reaction score
Hi

If you are having a problem filling up your task bar, try Rocket Dock, I've used it for years and I couldn't get along without it any more, that's it at the bottom of my desktop...

Desktop_zps2g7udozf.jpg

Lots of custom settings, everything opens with one click, and it works great.

http://rocketdock.com/DOWNLOAD

Mike

Reaction score
I use the bookmarks toolbar on Google Chrome which provides browsing links for a dozen or so often used sites in plain view at the top and a click on the right drops down the entire Bookmarks list. I keep it neat and it is quite functional. I only need about six links pinned to the task bar. Everything else is in the start area.
You can add additional toolbars to the task bar by right clicking it and selecting "toolbars" which expands the taskbar greatly.
I think davehc takes another tack, He has about a hundred quick links on his desktop. Is that accurate Dave?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi don't know how old you are but I am getting on in years, I prefer the new look 10, also on Print Screen I have always used paint or paint net.
The reason being I can crop out what I want to save,.
You can save also more in start menu by pinning them.
How long have you had windows 10 for.
Also windows 10 has made a vast improvement, well in my eyes they have not half the trouble I was getting with windows 7 or 8.1.
What other things don't you like about 10
Hi, It looks as though I am in the minority on this but perhaps I am too old to accept change gracefully and I admit to being born in 1931. I have had 10 about two months now but have had computers for 20 years going back to Windows 98 but at present this is not in my comfort zone ! I did find that some flight simulators which changed over with the installation ( which I know I shouldn't be playing with at my age )will no longer work in 10 although all the help received suggests they should, but that is not a computer system issue . I shall just persevere with it knowing that there are many out there such as yourself who will help if need be.

Reaction score
I use 8gadgetpack to display gadgets at the side, including a app launcher. That way, I can always get at them without needing to go back to the desktop

Attachments

• 8gadshow (Medium).jpg
    8gadshow (Medium).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 537
Reaction score
I use 8gadgetpack to display gadgets at the side, including a app launcher. That way, I can always get at them without needing to go back to the desktop
Thanks Alan I shall try this , I have enough clutter on my desktop at the moment so perhaps a re vamp is over due

Reaction score

Wanted to jump in and say thank you for the info on 8gadgetpack. Gadgets are one thing I miss after upgrading from Win7.

Ask a Question