Can't get online anymore

Reaction score
After spending several days setting this new computer up (An Acer Aspire ZC 700G) which has been frustrating, but we muddled through) I can't get online. I was using Mozilla as my browser, The message I get is:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line Number 1410, Column 9: <toolbarbutton id="sync-tabs-menuitem2"--------^
No matter how I try to get on, the same message appears. I have tried calling Mozilla using WE, but get the same error which seems to be coming from some kind of Chrome program.

Any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No matter how I try to get on, the same message appears.
Have any of your tries, included attempting to use Internet Explorer.
Start Button (windows logo, bottom left of screen on taskbar), all apps, windows accessories, internet explorer
Does that produce the same error message?

Reaction score
Start Button (windows logo, bottom left of screen on taskbar), all apps, windows accessories, internet explorer

Reaction score
Same message. Since I had done a system save the day before, I tried to restore. Message was the restore didn't work as a file was in use. I started the restore again. Now the message is "Couldn't load XPCOM". I hadn't tried Internet Explorer. It takes me to msn.com. At least I'm on the internet. Can I download XPCOM to fix it, or will that just bring out a list of files needed.

Just discovered I can't use Windows Live Mail. Before I had no internet except for mail.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you can use IE can you use Edge? Did you install the McAfee free trial that came with the machine? Getting rid of that and using Windows defender might help with the problems. If the machine is new and you have not got all your stuff loaded on it a full reset and start again. W10 has that built in and I suspect Acer has their own recovery method.

You say mozilla,, you mean Firefox? Which you downloaded yourself? THis error mentioning Chrome seems strange.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally, I'd try uninstalling and then rebooting and then reinstalling any browser that was giving me problems.

Reaction score
If you can use IE can you use Edge? Did you install the McAfee free trial that came with the machine? Getting rid of that and using Windows defender might help with the problems. If the machine is new and you have not got all your stuff loaded on it a full reset and start again. W10 has that built in and I suspect Acer has their own recovery method.

You say mozilla,, you mean Firefox? Which you downloaded yourself? THis error mentioning Chrome seems strange.

I thought so too, and yes, I mean Firefox. I've used it forever and don't like Chrome. I did download Firefox myself. I've never used Edge, but started it just to see what it was. I didn't install McAfee, but uninstalled it just today. I can delete and reinstall Firefox if you think that would help. I've only had this PC a few days and spent a lot of time setting it up. It worked fine for a day....

Reaction score
Well, deleting McAfee and Foxfire and using Internet Explorer as my browser has fixed all the problems. I had to download Windows Essentials and reload Windows Live Mail. Thanks for your suggestions - I hope they stick!

Ask a Question