Can't logon-no user account

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
One other thing to try.
Back to Safe Mode
Right click the Start Button and choose "Run" from the context menu and in the run dialog box type
msconfig
hit enter or click OK
On the General tab, uncheck Load Startup Items

Capture2.PNG

Select the Services Tab
Check the box to hide all Microsoft Services
Then click Disable all (for those that remain)
Click OK

Capture3.PNG

Reboot and see if that makes any difference for a normal boot.

Reaction score
One other thing to try.
Back to Safe Mode
Right click the Start Button and choose "Run" from the context menu and in the run dialog box type
msconfig
hit enter or click OK
On the General tab, uncheck Load Startup Items

View attachment 4379

Select the Services Tab
Check the box to hide all Microsoft Services
Then click Disable all (for those that remain)
Click OK

View attachment 4380

Reboot and see if that makes any difference for a normal boot.
Ok, tried it and got same result

Reaction score
Ok, tried it and got same result
Also just FYI , I sign in safe mode using my user name but when it boots up it tells me some apps can't be used with the built-in administrator account, so apparently it thinks I'm signed on as the "built-in administrator account"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK..... I'll admit when I'm beat.
Someone else might have some suggestions but I think I would begin considering a custom clean install.
I know that there are some elaborate Registry Settings as well as Group Policy setting that will hide user accounts from the sign-in screen but I have no idea why your accounts would be unavailable in a normal boot, but then be available to choose from a Safe Mode boot.

some apps can't be used with the built-in administrator account
That is not unusual in Safe Mode, most if not all of the Universal Apps won't work in Safe Mode.

Reaction score
OK..... I'll admit when I'm beat.
Someone else might have some suggestions but I think I would begin considering a custom clean install.
I know that there are some elaborate Registry Settings as well as Group Policy setting that will hide user accounts from the sign-in screen but I have no idea why your accounts would be unavailable in a normal boot, but then be available to choose from a Safe Mode boot.

That is not unusual in Safe Mode, most if not all of the Universal Apps won't work in Safe Mode.
I just tried running netplwiz in safe mode, that lets you make changes to sign on and is supposed to let you boot windows without entering a password. I unchecked "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" and rebooted and got same result, very frustrating
FYI it lists
User name. Group

Administrator. Homeusers; administrators
Homegroupuser$. HomeUsers
(e-mail address removed). HomeUsers; Administrators
UpdatusUser. HomeUsers

Ask a Question