SOLVED Cant open after PC goes to sleep.

Reaction score
Problem: PC goes to sleep after my set time, when I come back I hit a key and try to log in. The cursor is blinking and in the box but it will not accept any key strokes. Now one of 2 things will happen. I go to restart and sometimes it will take the log in or sometimes I have to shut it down because it will not accept any key strokes. I can then log in. This doesn’t happen every time just most of the time. Very frustrating!

Reaction score
Hi rgh43,

have you tried very briefly pressing the power button instead of the KB?. :)

Reaction score
I cant say I have done that, so will try it to see waht happens. But I shouldn't have to do that really. One other thing is I want to get it to stop asking me for my password when the PC goes to sleep, only when it boots up. With Win7 that wasnt difficult to get this done, I dont see an option in Win10?

Reaction score
It also depends if you have let the HDD go to sleep, if yes, then it takes about as long to wake up as to simply restart.
Yes, you also have the option in Windows 10. change it to NO.
1590776408895.png

Reaction score
Problem: PC goes to sleep after my set time, when I come back I hit a key and try to log in. The cursor is blinking and in the box but it will not accept any key strokes. Now one of 2 things will happen. I go to restart and sometimes it will take the log in or sometimes I have to shut it down because it will not accept any key strokes. I can then log in. This doesn’t happen every time just most of the time. Very frustrating!
I have had this problem for 18 months, and just received the following advice on this forum. It was suggested that I go into settings, and 'personalization'. There is an option there to have 'spotlight' or 'slideshow' or a picture of your own choice. I have chosen a picture from my own picture file. Time will tell, but I've had to manually switch pc on, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, after a period of inactivity. It always seems to coincide with that picture change I keep getting before I press any key. Good Luck.

Ask a Question