Can't re-install Windows 10 - error code -1073740791 on a Dell Inspiron

Reaction score
I have contact Microsoft Support for the last 3 days and no one is able to assist. Every time I download the IOS it saves it to an F drive (dvd) which has nothing in it and when I save the download media file on another computer and insert the USB drive it changes the file system format (NTFS) on the USB to a FAT format which I am told is not a bootable format. I have tried this 3 times and can't get it to work. Any assistance in resolving this issue so I can re-install Windows 10 would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
You need to download the Media Creation Tool. Visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and download the tool to create installation media. Plug in a (preferably new) 8GB min USB flash drive and start the Media Creation Tool. Select the 'create media for another computer' option and ensure the tool is pointing at your USB flash drive. Then let the tool run. It will download the latest Windows 10 installation files, write them to the USB flash drive, and make it bootable.

Then boot that USB flash drive (you may need to modify the boot order in the BIOS to do that). Select a custom install and delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive. Click the unallocated space that results to highlight it and then click the Next button. The installer will create the appropriate partition structure and install Windows into the correct partition.

Reaction score
Maybe you should examine your default download folder in the first insrance. It looks like somehere in the past you have changed it.
I assume you are using Window 10 and Edge?
Open the Edge settings and select downloads. There you can choose where to put downloads.
Then the above instructions should be followed for the download.
A bootable device is well worth it for future installations, but not required for your purposes.
Right click the ISo which you have just downloaded and select "Mount". Now run the setup.

Your downoaded ISO will not be overwriteen and can then be used to make a bootable device.

Reaction score
I get the same error code -1073740791 every time I initiate the Media Creation Tool. I went to another computer and downloaded the Media Creation Tool and installed the Windows 10 installation file onto the flash drive since I can't initiate the install from my computer (again get the same error code) same with the ISO. Once I have the bootable USB flash drive it changes the format of the flash drive to unbootable FAT file format and it won't install. My computer comes on and operates except for Windows applications because I believe the Windows environment is corrupted and the need for the re-install but apparently even Microsoft Support can't help since I have spent 4 days on the phone with them and have yet to get his resolved. This is why I am on the forum asking questions.

Reaction score
If you have a USB drive containing Windows installation files created by the Media Creation Tool run on another PC, and you can't successfully boot that drive on your own PC then there are only two possible causes...

1. The USB flash drive is flaky. This is why I suggested using a new drive in my post above.

2. There is a hardware issue on your PC that prevents the USB drive from booting.

In your position I would buy a new 8GB (min) USB flash drive and use another PC to download Windows onto that using the Media Creation Tool (download the Media Creation Tool on the other PC too). You can then be certain that you have clean installation media.

If that new USB drive still won't boot properly on your own PC then there is almost certainly some sort of hardware issue on your PC (assuming your BIOS allows booting from a USB drive).

Note that the installation media does not access or use any of your existing Windows system at all and it's impossible for a broken WIndows system to be corrupting your USB install drive.

Ask a Question