SOLVED Can't see jpg files

Reaction score
I have the latest update of Win10 and have recently been sent some jpg files taken on a phone.
When I try to view the files in the Win10 Photos app I get the message "It appears that we don't support this file format".
When I use "Open with" to select another app, I find that there are no apps that support this file format.
Doing a quick search showed me that this has been a persistent problem from 2015 onwards, but I can't find anything helpful.
Was there ever a fix for this problem?

Reaction score
have you tried changing the file extension to .jpeg And then run through all the assorted image viewers you have.

Reaction score
Open the settings - Apps - Default apps.
Scroll down and, on the right, select "Open default applications by File type.
Scroll down again, to .jpg, and on the right, choose Photos as the default.

Reaction score
Just wanted to add. It doesn't have to be Photos, of course. If installed, it can be your favourite photo viewing program.

Reaction score
@davehc
Thanks Dave. I did as you said but it was already set up as you directed.

@Tim Locke
Thanks Tim. I'm not having any success in trying to change the file extension, but following Dave's suggestion I found that jpeg files are set up for Photos just the same as jpg files.

Reaction score
Another thing to try. Perhaps a small problem with photos app.
Settings - Apps - Apps and features.
Scroll down to Microsoft photos. and click it - advanced options.
Scroll down and RESET it

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Additionally, assuming you have saved the files to a local folder on your computer, check to confirm that the files have the correct file extension as you suspect.
Open the folder in file explorer and inspect them by exposing the extension if it is being hidden.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Photo viewer was the preceding viewing application to MS Photos. It was replaced by that program, but remains hidden in the depths of Windows 10. The reg hack which you have applied reverts Windows 10 back to the the old photo viewer.
Not a satisfactory solution created, apparently, by MS, bt if it has worked for you - that's great.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm wondering now, IF.....
You could have simply right clicked one of the .jpg files and from the context menu chosen "Open with" and from there, chosen "Paint" the file would have opened.

Reaction score
@davehc

Sorry Dave I didn't mean to imply that it worked for me... it seemed to work for the thread originator. I still have the problem.

@Trouble

Already tried all of the apps including Paint without success.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
I agree with your earlier comment. Many threads on the subject. All I found finished without any positive conclusion.
It occurs to me that it could be something to do with an Android (your phone?) and Pc confliction.
On ide, off the top of my head, is to download Gimp

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

This is a very versatile program, originally meant for Dos/Linux use, but now for the PC. It is very easy to use and, if succesful, perhaps you could convert your photos to another well known format.

Reaction score
@Trouble:
When I do that Paint gives me the message "Something went wrong".
The file association fixer you recommended tells me that it has fixed the problem, but the problem persists.

@davehc:
Success! But an unexpected outcome...
I downloaded GIMP and selected it for opening the jpg files. It gives me error messages saying "GIMP message: JPEG image plugin could not open image" and "JPEG image Message: Empty input file". So I checked the file sizes and sure enough they're all zero bytes. I then downloaded a jpg image file and successfully opened it with Photos! Looks like I've been misled by a failed image transfer from phone via email to my laptop, and by a historic problem with Win10 handling jpg files. It would have been helpful if Photos had told me what GIMP told me instead of telling me that "it appears that we don't support this file format"! I feel silly now and apologise for the trouble I've put you to but really appreciate you sticking with me.

To all that helped:
Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No Trouble. It is what the members do here! We learn as well
By the way.
I would be suspicious of this. There may be a nasty reason why you were allowed to download zero bytes files. Have a thorough virus scan

Last edited:

Ask a Question