SOLVED Can't see the wireless on my lan

Reaction score
I have 3 computers running windodws 10 (2 ethernet + 1 wireless) since the last update The wireless doesn't show up in file explorer! I can type the location in the file explorer's address bar and it will then show up in the navigation pane but is still missing from the files and folders pane! All the necessary files and folders are shared correctly, network discovery is turned on along with file and printer sharing! the 2 ethernet can see each other and the wireless can see the 2 ethernet, but the wireless just doesn't show up unless I manually type the location into the address bar and then only in the navigation pane! Any ideas what's going on? Thank you for your time and consideration! Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hello Albert, I have had issues such as this in the past and turning on Network Sharing usually fixes the issue. I see that you have attempted this and it did not work. Try running these commands from the elevated Command Prompt and let me know your results.
Netsh winsock reset
Netsh int ip reset
Ipconfig/release
Ipconfig/renew
Ipconfig/flushdns

Reaction score
Thank you! I appreciate your quick response but i'm afraid I must apologize, I guess I should have gone into greater detail on what I've attempted to fix this issue! I have a batch file that I run on occasion...
@ echo on
Netsh winsock reset
Netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0
I still get the same results, I can only see the wireless in the navigation pane and then only after I type it into the address bar

Reaction score
I am not too hot on networking, but, this happened to me in a recent major update. In my case, I found the permissions on the laptop had been changed by the update to public. Changing it back to private (and making sure the public was turned OFF), solved my problem.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
On the problem computer
Open the services console.
services.msc (in the run dialog box)
Scroll down to "Function Discovery Resource Publication"
Double click it and set the startup to automatic and click the start button to start it.

Reaction score
Well, thank you very much, Trouble!! The "Function Discovery Resource Publication" set to automatic and started did the trick!!! : )

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. No idea why.
Thanks for the follow-up and letting us know you managed to resolve your issue.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Interesting.
I cannot quite figure what the two "Function Discovery" services actually do. After reading Trouble's suggestion, I had a look at mine. They are both on manual, yet I have no problems with my Lan.
I switched them to automatic and saw no difference?

Ask a Question