SOLVED Can't use Outlook e-mail with mail app

Reaction score
I wanted to e-mail a web site which doesn't supply an e-mail address but has a button to click on. Doing so brings up the Windows mail app which asks me to add an account. I enter my Outlook address and a message appears telling me that account already exists. I am aware of that! But there's no way to then send an e-mail. What's gone wrong?
I use Windows 10, all help appreciated.

John

Reaction score
I don't have mail on my computer, currently. But, if an account already exists, you should be able to just send or receive without further detail?

Reaction score
Just reinstalled the Mail and calendar app from the store. I opened it and clicked the grey text "go to inbox". I was in?
Presumably your internet connection is working OK?

Otherwise, do as I did. Download it and reinstall.

Reaction score
Outlook works for sending and receiving e-mail, but to contact the Guardian I press the word 'e-mail' (see screenshot) and instead of connecting Outlook a window appears asking me to register an account, and I then find I can't get to Outlook.
GUARDIAN LETTERS.png

Reaction score
Are you sure the pop up isn’t asking you to register for an account with the newspaper?
Do you have a screenshot of the pop up?
If you open the Mail app does your Microsoft account show? This should be set up automatically if you sign in to your pc with a MS account rather than a local account.

Reaction score
I think that is what he meant by "a window appears asking me to register an account"
The op may be a little confused between the mail app and Outlook.
I honestly believe he does not have a problem other than, as you suggest, creating a Guardian account

Reaction score
Are you sure the pop up isn’t asking you to register for an account with the newspaper?
Do you have a screenshot of the pop up?
If you open the Mail app does your Microsoft account show? This should be set up automatically if you sign in to your pc with a MS account rather than a local account.
I'm registered with that paper, but thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
I have a couple of ifs. If you're running Win 10, open settings and then open apps. If you have Microsoft 365 click on it, if not, look for Outlook and click on it. One of those two will have the option to repair or uninstall. Choose the repair option. Follow the instructions, one is a quick repair, the other fully reinstalls the app. Both options save all of your information, nothing is lost. These will fix any corrupt files or problems with minimal input from you. If these don't work, look at your server settings while Outlook is open by clicking file, account settings, then server settings. This will only work if you know what your server settings are supposed to be, and you are comfortable with doing it. If you are nervous, don't mess with them. You can find out how to fix many problems by going to YouTube and entering your problem in the search box. Someone will have made a video of that problem and how to fix it. Trust YouTube, almost any problem, no matter how ridiculous. The first part of my answer should take care of the problem.

Ask a Question