SOLVED Windows Mail Outlook emails not received and can't be sent.

Reaction score
After setting up Windows Mail Outlook (when Windows Live Mail failed and could not be re-installed) no emails are received in Windows Mail and emails cannot be sent. What is the solution please?

Reaction score
Reaction score
All I had to do was choose outlook from the list, enter my hotmail email address & password & it set up the account automatically.
If yours didn't then try these settings:
Mail Server: s.outlook.com (if it doesn’t work, also try m.hotmail.com)
Also, mark the box to use TSL/SSL for the server connection.

User Name: your full @outlook.com/hotmail/live email address
Password: your @outlook.com/hotmail/live password

Reaction score
Bastet and Wolfie. Many thanks for your prompts. The good news is that I am now getting emails. I had to delete my account and recreate under "Other" (in my cases optusnet.com.au). Second bit of good news is all my emails from Live Mail were copied across but, first bad news, all my contacts weren't except a few of my Skype telephone contacts. How do I get all my contacts back - any help gratefully received?

Reaction score
Two continuing problems:

1.How do I get my Contacts (now People) back from Windows Live Mail?
2 How do I add (email) sender to People (Contacts) List? There appears to be no way visible to do this. It was so easy in Windows Live Mail.

I read a thread happening in late 2015 on this problem. No resolution that I can see. Microsoft and anyone who knows please, please advise.

Reaction score
All my contacts were in the old contacts folder which I moved from pc to pc whenever I bought a new one & they were also in my ms account contacts so transferred over.
You can export contacts from wlmail.
  1. Open Windows Live Mail by selecting the Start button
    14032_en-us_1

. In the search box, enter Mail, and then, in the list of results, select Windows Live Mail.
    14033_en-us_1

2. In the lower-left corner, select Contacts.
  3. Select Export on the ribbon.
  4. Select a file format in the drop-down menu.
    • If exporting multiple contacts, select .csv.
    • If exporting only one or two contacts, select .vcf.
  5. Select Browse and select where to save your contacts.
  6. Enter a file name and then select Save.
  7. Select Next, and then select the check boxes next to the fields that you want to export. Only selected fields are exported, so make sure to select everything you might want later.
  8. Select Finish.
But importing to Windows mail you have to log in to your People MS account at https://people.live.com/import and you'll see several options to import contacts. Your People App needs to be set up to use the same MS Account.

Reaction score
Bastet VMT.
The problem started when WLM failed, ie became totally unresponsive. I tried the MS repair and other repair options. Deleted my account to re-create (not an unreasonable thing to do) but then found that MS say it is no longer possible to download WLM - since they stopped supporting it if Jan 2017. I no longer have access to WLM and I was forced then to go to M4Winows 10.
Regret I can't follow your otherwise very wise advice.

Reaction score
Bastet - thank you so much for this - from this side of the planet. Like you, I loved WLM. I am now back where I feel comfortable. You have been a great help.

Ask a Question