SOLVED Can't verify new email alias associated with my Microsoft account

Reaction score
I want to change the email that is associated with my Microsoft account. I followed all of the instructions under "Manage your account aliases," however, when I click on the "verify" button to verify the new email address, the button doesn't do anything or go anywhere. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure, I've never added an alias myself, but....
There is some relevant information contained here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-alias-account
Perhaps the notes are relevant
Existing @hotmail.com, @live.com, Outlook.com and @msn.com addresses can't be added as aliases.
You can create an alias using an existing email address from other providers such as Gmail, Yahoo! Plus, or AIM Mail, as long as you haven't used the address to create a Microsoft account.
Or maybe switching primary might have something to do with the issue.
As I said, I'm not sure but would certainly be interested in hearing if you get it sorted.

Reaction score
There is a gap in the MS procedure for this. Maybe some users have done better. I needed to change my MS Email for my MSDN download account. Initially, I did try an alias, but, as I was shifting to another ISP, it was necessary to change the Email. After trying several different on screen methods, I finally had to Email MS and tell them it seemed impossible. They changed it manually, almost immediately.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help! I gave up on this approach and now sign in using the "local" approach--much simpler for my needs.

Ask a Question