SOLVED Change Default File Name And Save To Location When I Use The Microsoft Print To Pdf Printer

gee

Reaction score
When I use the Microsoft print to pdf printer in Win 10, it gives the file a name and saves it to My Documents. How do I change the save to location to my desktop? Can I name the file myself rather than accept the name win 10 thinks it should be?

Reaction score
I just gave it a try as I never use that option at all.
Yes, I can name it and I can decide the save to location.
File name .................ms print to pdf.
Location ................... Documents Folder

See screenshot below. Is that what you want ?

ms print to pdf saved at documents.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

gee

Reaction score
[QUOTE: How do I change the default save to location to my desktop? Can I name the file myself rather than accept the name Win 10 thinks it should be?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I didn't explain my problem very well.

When I do a Print to PDF, I don't get an option as to where I want to save the file to nor an option to rename the file. Win 10 automatically puts it in My Documents and gives it a screwy name. I can go to My Docs, find the file, drag it to where I want it and rename it there, but that's a pain.

There must be a way to change the default save to location and file name, but I have not been able to find where to change the default.

Reaction score
I understood what you were saying.
My reply was to show you in my computer I could do what you said you could not.
Sorry I have caused the confusion.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When I use the Microsoft print to pdf printer in Win 10, it gives the file a name and saves it to My Documents.
When I use the print function from within application in Windows 10 and select Microsoft print to PDF function as my printer, I am always prompted with a "Save Print Output As" dialog box.
From which I can always choose where to save and the name I wish to give to the particular item, as seen below

SavePrintOutputAs.JPG

I don't believe there is a method to set any particular location as "default" for this function.
Windows has a habit of either defaulting to the container in which the item is presently located or the last saved location.
As to why
When I do a Print to PDF, I don't get an option as to where I want to save the file to nor an option to rename the file.
I have no idea.
A couple things you can try as an experiment to determine if there is some third party process that is impacting this feature.......
Boot into Safe Mode
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/safe-mode.3/ option #4 when you arrive at the appropriate screen.
See if provides any relief.
If so then you may need to investigate further by performing a Clean Boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
To see if you can zero in on the offending program, process or service.
AND
Lastly.... create a new local user as a member of the local administrator's group (not a standard user)
Log of and back on as this new user and see if the problem is unique to your particular profile.

Ad

Advertisements

gee

Reaction score
You're right, when I print from an application like word or excel I do get the save print as option box. It's when I try printing from the internet, like a credit card statement or if I try printing this "Threads" page, I do not get that option. The only choice is "Print" or "Cancel". and when I chose print, Win 10 gives the file a name and saves it to My Docs.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Which browser are you using.
I just tested using IE and I have the same options I have and noted above as within other applications, when I use the file -> print from the menu bar.
Test using IE and see if the problem persists
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

gee

Reaction score
Thanks, that works like it should. I HAD been using ms Edge.

Ad

Advertisements

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. The new Microsoft Edge browser is confounding to a lot of folk, including me.
I think that at some time in the future it will truly be an excellent browser, but for now, I'll stick with IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.,

Ask a Question