Can't change default browser.

Reaction score
Hello! I have a problem where I can't change my default browser. I clicked on Settings > Default Apps then I tried clicking on "Choose a default browser" but when I chose google chrome as my default browser, nothing happens. Same goes for all the other browsers. Nothing happens. It still shows "Choose a default browser" Same goes for choosing a default video player.
I need help asap! Much help will be appreciated! Thanks! :D

Reaction score
Try changing it through the old Control Panel:
In the Start menu, scroll down to "Windows System " and click. Select the Control Panel.
Open "Default Programs"
"Set your default programs"
Scroll down to your favourite browser and choose it as the default - select, then, OK

Reaction score
Or start up Chrome, go to settings and at the bottom of that page you can tell Chrome to be the default browser.

Reaction score
Nothing to add regarding setting defaults but I find it easier to get Control Panel by right-clicking Start and selecting it from the menu that appears. Same goes for the 'old' style Programs and Features (which I prefer) and many more.

Reaction score
I am seeing the same thing. Changing the browse or video player can be a problem. It may actually change even though it doesn't look like it.

Maybe this is a glitch or something Microsoft really wants folks using Edge..

Reaction score
Had this myself some time ago & found that if I changed my user account to logging in via my Microsoft account, changes happened as expected, but when I reverted to logging in as a local account I had the same problem as you. It's possibly a glitch that Microsoft aren't keen on fixing, in order to encourage logging on with a Microsoft account. I agree with the other replys about changing via the control panel or else right click & use "open with " & select your default & tick "always use". You may then find the correct program/browser shows when going via the settings & defaults route.

Reaction score
Nothing to add regarding setting defaults but I find it easier to get Control Panel by right-clicking Start and selecting it from the menu that appears. Same goes for the 'old' style Programs and Features (which I prefer) and many more.
Bad news. They have both gone from the forthcoming update. The path I posted is still there, though.

Reaction score
Hello! I have a problem where I can't change my default browser. I clicked on Settings > Default Apps then I tried clicking on "Choose a default browser" but when I chose google chrome as my default browser, nothing happens. Same goes for all the other browsers. Nothing happens. It still shows "Choose a default browser" Same goes for choosing a default video player.
I found I had to uninstall my old browser before I could make chrome my default.

Reaction score

Hi I had a problem changing my photo default program and there are a couple of different ways you just have to find the one that works think I ended up changing the file association for the program.

Reaction score
easy peasey, open Chrome,go to 3 dots on upper right corner (settings) page opens, scroll down, "make chrome default browser" click and done

Reaction score
It worked fine for me as designed. I went to Settings > Default programs. Clicked on Web browser and changed to Chrome. After I closed Edge and clicked on a link in Mail it opened the link in Chrome

EdR

Reaction score
I have tried all of the suggested fixes without success. They all lead to a default browser setting where Edge is the only choice.

Ask a Question