SOLVED Can't change default browser away from bing

Reaction score
I clicked on the elipses in Edge and selected Settings, then selected Advanced. I scrolled down to Address Bar Search, and made Duckduckgo my default browser. Edge still uses bing, even though Duckduckgo remains the default browser. Am I doing this wrong?

Reaction score
If you are trying to change your home page, click the three dots in the upper right corner, click "Settings" at the bottom, scroll down and click "View advanced settings", make sure "Show the home button" is set to "On", set the box below it to "A specific page", right-click the box below that, select "Cut", type "duckduckgo.com" into the box and click the "Save" icon next to it.

Ben

Reaction score
If you are trying to change your home page, click the three dots in the upper right corner, click "Settings" at the bottom, scroll down and click "View advanced settings", make sure "Show the home button" is set to "On", set the box below it to "A specific page", right-click the box below that, select "Cut", type "duckduckgo.com" into the box and click the "Save" icon next to it.

Ben
Thanks Ben, I did that but when I open a new tab it still comes up with bing search. I closed edge and re-opened it but still the same. It's beginning to seem like MS don't want Win10 to operate with anything but bing.

Reaction score
If you want Edge to start with Duckduckgo, click the three dots, "Settings", change "Start Microsoft Edge with" to "A specific page or pages", type "duckduckgo.com" into the box beneath it, then click the "Save" icon at the right.

Ben

Reaction score
If you want Edge to start with Duckduckgo, click the three dots, "Settings", change "Start Microsoft Edge with" to "A specific page or pages", type "duckduckgo.com" into the box beneath it, then click the "Save" icon at the right.

Ben
I think I've been getting a little confused Ben... if I type my search string into the URL line at the top of the browser page then it searches with ddg, but the page shown below it (with a box for the search string) searches with bing. My guess is then that I just have to ignore the page itself and use the URL line to do the search.

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

have you checked in Edge > Settings > Change search provider: :):):)

edge settings.jpg

Edit: It appears to be broken, I left a message for MS to fix it, I am sure they will have it done by April of next year!. :(:(:(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Edit: It appears to be broken, I left a message for MS to fix it, I am sure they will have it done by April of next year!. :(:(:(
lol!
Yes, I tried that Wolfie but to no avail. However, I can get by now if I simply ignore the bing search string box and place my string in the URL line at the top of the page. I would like to get bing completely off my machine, but it might not be very easy.

Reaction score
You could make Google your homepage, that way Bing won't kick in if you use the Google search feature!. :):):)

Reaction score
You could make Google your homepage, that way Bing won't kick in if you use the Google search feature!. :):):)
Thanks Wolfie but the point of moving to the DuckDuckGo search engine is that, unlike Google, it doesn't track you at all.

Reaction score
If you wish to make the search in Edge, return to the original download page using edge)
https://duckduckgo.com/

On the right it asks if you want to make it the default in Edge.
After the operation is completed, you can then , once again, got through the setiings as you described, and selct it as your default.

Reaction score
If you wish to make the search in Edge, return to the original download page using edge)
https://duckduckgo.com/

On the right it asks if you want to make it the default in Edge.
After the operation is completed, you can then , once again, got through the setiings as you described, and selct it as your default.
Thanks Dave but that was the first thing I tried. DDG was indeed made the default, but the search string box in Edge still used bing. I didn't, at that point, test if the URL line at the top of the page used DDG. I know it does now, but ideally I'd like to ditch the bing thing.

Reaction score
OK. A little odd. I collected duckduckgo for the experiment. Normally I use Google search. Selected DDG as the default and deleted google
My search engine is now DDG

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK. A little odd. I collected duckduckgo for the experiment. Normally I use Google search. Selected DDG as the default and deleted google
My search engine is now DDG

View attachment 9333
DDG is my default search engine, but the alternative in that list is bing, and the 'remove' button is greyed-out so I can't remove it. When I open a new tab, it brings up the bing page, but if I ignore that and use the top line to search then it uses DDG.

Reaction score
The usual subversive behaviour from Ms, methinks.
Sorry I cant offer more. DDG is not too familiar for me and there are various reasons why I am unable to use it.

Reaction score
The usual subversive behaviour from Ms, methinks.
Sorry I cant offer more. DDG is not too familiar for me and there are various reasons why I am unable to use it.
Thanks anyway Dave... I suspect that MS have intimately entwined Edge with bing (hence the greying-out of the 'remove' button) so I may just have to put up with using the top line to search.

Ask a Question