Can't login to Windows 10 - default login email account changed

Reaction score
This is a rewording of a previous post which wasn't clear enough. My friend upgraded to Windows 10 with no problems. He logged in for about 2 weeks with no issues. Then for some inexplicable reason one day he couldn't login as his password was not accepted. On looking at the login screen his email had changed from the previous "(e-mail address removed)" to "(e-mail address removed)" and as he didn't know this had changed he was entering his password for the previous email login. He hasn't used the live.co.uk account for years so doesn't know that password. A password reset has been requested (done via his mobile phone).

QUESTION - Is it possible that this default login setting was changed without my friend taking action to change it, as he is certain he did not. Have Microsoft enforced a live.co.uk email account to login as part of an update?? (sounds ludicrous but I've heard of weirder things).

The result is he is having to wait 30 days to get access to his password-reset live.co.uk account so is without his laptop for that amount of time. I'm looking at a password work around to get him in sooner.

Ask a Question