SOLVED I can't login to windows 10 after I upgraded from windows 7

Reaction score
I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 on my Dell laptop through the Microsoft automatic update features. I don't have no disk or drive. I never had a Microsoft account and all I used to use to login was a asministrator account in windows 7.

The installation process seen to went well. I didn't get any errors on the screen or nothing of the matter.
But now I can't get pass the login screen on my computer. All I get is a blue screen with with tree button on the bottom right bottom screen (wifi button, ease of access, and the power button).
When I enter my old password and user name I used to login in windows 7 it says my account have been disabled. Since I never had a Microsoft account I created one to try to login using the new account but it does not work either.

I don't know what to do, I work from home on that computer and I have important data and files the I use everyday and I don't have copies or backup of it.

If anyone have had this problem and can help me I will really appreciate it.
Thank very much.

Reaction score
I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 on my Dell laptop through the Microsoft automatic update features. I don't have no disk or drive. I never had a Microsoft account and all I used to use to login was a asministrator account in windows 7.

The installation process seen to went well. I didn't get any errors on the screen or nothing of the matter.
But now I can't get pass the login screen on my computer. All I get is a blue screen with with tree button on the bottom right bottom screen (wifi button, ease of access, and the power button).
When I enter my old password and user name I used to login in windows 7 it says my account have been disabled. Since I never had a Microsoft account I created one to try to login using the new account but it does not work either.

I don't know what to do, I work from home on that computer and I have important data and files the I use everyday and I don't have copies or backup of it.

Thank very much.

Thank very much.
My husband has the same problem...he also upgraded today and already wishes he hasn't!! I have entered my details here as he would not be able to see an email reply. He used the password that he used in the Windows welcome screen for Windows 7 but it isn't recognised. At no point during the upgrade was he asked to enter a password so where do we go from here?

Hope someone can help please

Regards Kate M

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
all I used to use to login was a asministrator account in windows 7.
I assume you mean "Administrator" account, but.....
Do you mean the normally hidden and disabled by default in Windows "Administrator" account?
When I enter my old password and user name I used to login in windows 7 it says my account have been disabled
If the answer to my question is yes, then I would assume that the upgrade has returned the built in Administrator's account back to its' default

Capture.PNG

IN which case you have your work cut out for you if there are not other accounts on the computer.
I posted about a method, using the command prompt from the installation media to re-enable the hidden administrator's account here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/keeps-saying-incorrect-password.1185/#post-12550
Read the post and try the link in the post to the article.
I know it works as I've used it personally just pay attention to the caveat I mention in my post.

Reaction score
My husband has the same problem...he also upgraded today and already wishes he hasn't!! I have entered my details here as he would not be able to see an email reply. He used the password that he used in the Windows welcome screen for Windows 7 but it isn't recognised. At no point during the upgrade was he asked to enter a password so where do we go from here?

Hope someone can help please

Regards Kate M

I got it fix by using a CD harenboost. The process is a little complicated but it worked.
If you need more details please let me and I might be able to help you.

Reaction score
If you have more than one account on the system (which hopefully you do,) log into the other account and reset the password for the user account that you forgot. Keep in mind this would require that you know the password or know someone with an account on the system with Administrator privileges.

• Press Windows key + R
  • Type: control userpasswords2
  • Hit Enter key on your keyboard
  • Select the account then click Reset password
  • Enter the new password and confirm it then click OK
or try some other windows password reset tools like ntpassword,ophcrack or passcue.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6967-chntpw.html
https://www.passcue.com/windows-10-password-reset.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophcrack

Ask a Question